Pulling Apart

Brendo!

hello all, hope this is the right place to post, i ahve a ke70 and i was just wondering at how to go about taking off the chrome strips along the tops of doors and the one at the back which has little like cylinder allen key hole :S? and about taking front and rear windows out any tips and advice and as soon as i get a camera ill be sure to start a thread. !

Members dont see this ad

The chrome strips will commit suicide the moment you touch them!! Its almost impossible to get them off unbent or twisted, but I have had them off with careful work using a screwdriver under the lower (doorside) edge. Start at one end and twist the strip off as you go.

On mine the vertical bits behind the rear door 1/4 window are riveted on, not allen screwed... drill and re-rivet.

The front trim levers off carefully, I think there are clips under it in places, I can't remember. I think the screen is held in by a rubber section, but I've never taken one out.

The back window is held in by the big rubber. Lubricate with plenty of detergent, ( I suppose KY jelly will work! :laff: ) lie inside and push firmly with your socks on your feet and have someone catching it outside. Don't kick it. I am afraid I have stuck my feet through a Cortina window before, but that was the only one. It goes back in with heavy string and plenty of lubricant. You put the string in the rubber groove, put the ends inside and lay the window on it place. One guy goes inside to pull the rubber lip over the metal with the string, the other guy is ourside pushing the glass down.

..or get a glass place to take it out.

The window winders have what are sometimes refered to as a jesus clip on them (called a jesus clip because that's what you yell when it either flys off and hits you in the eye or gets shot away never to be found again). There are tools you can use, but generally if you just get a bit of rag and slide it down behind the window winder. The clip usually faces towards the long part of the winder, so have that facing up and slide the rag down there. Just use a back and forth motion while pulling down and they pop out.

If the rear vents are anything like a KE30/55 they should just have a couple of nuts holding them in. They are accessed from the boot in '30.

What is this fluff that you speak of?

Hope that was helpful, cheers,

Sian

also i was just wondering how do i get door trims off as i now want them off and can't seem to get the window winder part off and the rear back vents from the inside thanks

Removal of th rear vents requires the plastic C pillar inside the to be removed first.

On each trim you'll see plugs for the rear window demister, unplug them and then with a phillips head screwdriver undo two or three screws which secure the trim.

Also you may have to unto a large nut which holds the rear belt shackles to the C pillar also.

The window winders have what are sometimes refered to as a jesus clip on them (called a jesus clip because that's what you yell when it either flys off and hits you in the eye or gets shot away never to be found again). There are tools you can use, but generally if you just get a bit of rag and slide it down behind the window winder. The clip usually faces towards the long part of the winder, so have that facing up and slide the rag down there. Just use a back and forth motion while pulling down and they pop out.

If the rear vents are anything like a KE30/55 they should just have a couple of nuts holding them in. They are accessed from the boot in '30.

What is this fluff that you speak of?

Hope that was helpful, cheers,

Sian

thanks the fluff is what is remaining of pulling off this leather sort of stuff i think they used as sound deadening on top of wheel well in car and the boot on the sides.

Removal of th rear vents requires the plastic C pillar inside the to be removed first.

On each trim you'll see plugs for the rear window demister, unplug them and then with a phillips head screwdriver undo two or three screws which secure the trim.

Also you may have to unto a large nut which holds the rear belt shackles to the C pillar also.

yeah i have done that but it wont come out it seems like tiny bolts that seem pretty impossible to undo hold it in still :S?

The door trims from memory have little clips holding them in that can be popped out (or tear the thin cardboard/make believe wood) of the door with a flat headed screwdriver wedged between it & the door. Its easiest to start at the bottom & work your way around each side to the top.

Edited by carbonboy

• 4 weeks later...