April 11, 201115 yr comment_516351 Hi guys, hope this is in the correct forum. Basically the 3k in my KE20 is getting pretty old and tired and with some help I'll be putting in a much fresher 4k. The 4k is stock and doesn't have a carb on it and the 0ne on my 3k is not in great working order and needs a rebuild. It's my understanding that the stock carbs aren't brilliant so I'm wondering if an aftermarket one would offer a better price to performance ratio? I have extractors and an exhaust system but no other engine mods, other than an adapter plate and then getting it properly tuned will I need to change/alter anything else in order to see a significant enough improvement over the standard carb? I'm not after anything earth-shattering, just improved pick up and more reliable start-up, Any insight would be much appreciated. Edited April 11, 201115 yr by CryptOrchid Report
April 11, 201115 yr comment_516362 if you're not looking for performance and you wanna keep the reliability i'd just get another stock one in cook working order. the simplest upgrade would be a 32/36, but there are differing opinions on whether this is overkill for the ol 4k. You said you have extractors and an exhaust, this is a good start. Getting a reground cam would help too if you went the 32/36 route. Report
April 11, 201115 yr Author comment_516366 if you're not looking for performance and you wanna keep the reliability i'd just get another stock one in cook working order. the simplest upgrade would be a 32/36, but there are differing opinions on whether this is overkill for the ol 4k. You said you have extractors and an exhaust, this is a good start. Getting a reground cam would help too if you went the 32/36 route. I certainly wouldn't mind more performance, and I'd assume if I do go down the after market route it will give me more headroom down the track if I decide to do cams etc? I know the 32/36s seem to be the common one used, but does anyone know much about the 32/34? I ask because there is one currently on ebay with an adapter plate that came off of a k motor. Report
April 13, 201115 yr comment_516983 Pretty sure i just bought it :D. ive been plagued with a crappy carby in my ke70, tried a number of things to make it better. cleaned the carby, electronic fuel pump, got a carby kit put in new gaskets, replaced idler pump. still crap to drive and stalled on idle. Was just considering and possibly may in the near future upgrade to a Beams 3SGE engine :) but for now I'm going to stick with a carby setup..... Ive now got myself a weber carby (doesnt say what sort but looks to be a 32 /32/34/36? came off another toyota but has a k motor adaptor plate, by the look its had the choke removed(ive also got 2 1/4" exhaust and a set of pacemaker extractors), i'll chuck the carby on hook it up and if its still playing up get it checked out by a carby specialist. Heres a pic of the carby setup Edited April 14, 201115 yr by xris Report
April 14, 201115 yr comment_516988 Did you ever check the float level?? I thought the same thing about my carb untill I saw that the float bowl was flooding. With the bowl flooded you can forget about the engine idling. I bent the little flap about a mm higher until the port closed at horizontal and now the carby runs mutch better. Report
April 14, 201115 yr comment_516997 i didnt lol. oh well. I'm sure having a weber will be heaps better than that crappy carby lol Report
April 14, 201115 yr comment_517000 I am actually going in the same direction as you, I already have a webber just rebuilding it at the moment. If you get yours running before mine, do tell what jet sizes you have used! Report
April 14, 201115 yr comment_517009 no worries. I'm going to try whats in it, see if it runs. then i'll take it to a carby joint to get it running right if it doesnt run well to start off. Did a bit of research and someone posted this for 4kc's primary main jet = 125, aircorrector = 180, emulsion tube = F50, idle jet = 55 secondary main = 130, aircorrector = 195, emulsion tube = F66, idle jet = 50 Edited April 14, 201115 yr by xris Report
April 29, 201115 yr comment_520359 I've got a 32/32 in mine, love it. Runs a little unreliably when it's cold, when i get in i have to sit with my foot lightly on the accelerator for a few minutes just to keep it alive. But then when it's warm it runs like a dream. My gearbox and clutch are both rooted, so unfortunately I can't give you a real run on performance, but it revs cleanly, idles great and is fine on petrol. My only problem is that i have one of the exhausts that feeds back into the carb, and it now doesn't, so i have some exhaust in my engine bay, which means my cabin ends up smelling like death. Getting that fixed with either a new exhaust manifold or just the old ones off a pre-exhaust reclaim system. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now