First Time Member Advice

Hi all, I'm a first time member and was after some help.

I am about to purchase a KE30 corolla 2 door with a town ace 2.0 motor and 5 speed manual for $500. Body needs some work (which isn't a worry as I'm a spray painter by trade with a few beating skills). I was just wondering how good of a deal this is and what direction to take the car. I wanted to keep it carbi, and turbo it. Any advice cosmetically and mechanically or advice in general that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Members dont see this ad

welcome to rollaclub, enjoy your stay.

give us a engine number? sounds like a y motor or 7k

also check your local road transport people to see if its legal to own this with a bigger motor or a engineers will be needed

My guess is 3y (as the 7k is 1.8litre, unless it has been bored out to 2l or the seller just rounded up the figure).

We were looking at putting a Tarago engine into my KE55 at one point.... but I digress.

I reckon that would be getting close to the limit of what you could legally register, but as Evan said, talk to the local road authority and an engineer; they are the only ones that can really say if it's legal.

I reckon it would be a bit of a weapon and is probably a decent deal (as long as you can get what you want out of it, ie if you want a road car and it's going to cost another 3 grand to get it engineered and roadworthy then it might not be such a good deal).

Yeah man gotta be heaps careful with engineering and things.

It doesn't say where you live but from my experience in NSW an owner certified engine upgrade is capped at 15% more power or capacity which both must adhere to. So if you increase capacity by 10% but power by 20% it has to be engineered and visa-versa. which cost me 650 without GST for and engine cert, wasn't that bad a process either took it in one day, was passed the next.

I don't know what the KE30's originally had... I am guessing a 3K or something? So if that is true your 2ltr is would have to be engineered in NSW to be registered.

Ofcourse if it is already registered you could just do the sneaky and not worry about it.

Jackson

It was owned by a bloke I used to work with, he took the original motor and gear box out, a 1.8 litre I believe and put a 2.0 litre carbi motor from a townace van and a 5 speed gear box. They still remain in the car. I asked him about engineers and he said he got it registered without any worries. I live in Victoria, mornington peninsula area.

The car will be used on weekends and at shows, I'm aiming to do a full make over on the car, paint, interior and engine overhaul. I want to keep the engine a small capacity engine, but I have 3 options in mind. A rotary, SR20 or keeping the motor that's in it and rebuilding it.

I know very little about these cars but I'm trying to do research as much as possible.

Keep the advice and warnings coming please, they are all greatly appreciated.