Timing, Wheel Bearings, Cv Joints, Distributor & Rocker Gasket

Hey everyone,

As stated in a previous thread, i am new to this forum and new to the world of AE92 Corolla's (Recently purchased mine)

The car:

1991 AE92 Toyota Corolla.

4AFC 1.6l Carburetor Engine - 201,000 on the clock owned by a pensioner.

The problems:

So, I was hoping anyone could shed some light on a few problems that i have noticed with my Corolla - If it is too much trouble/work/$$$ then i will sell it within the next 6 months otherwise, if it is not going to break the bank and not going to be too much trouble i will keep her till she kicks the bucket.

First problem: I am not sure if the timing needs to be done however, i was hoping someone could please tell me how i can tell if it needs to be done?

Second Problem: As i drive along above 80Km/H i notice the car to become a bit shaky, from what i understand, this is the wheel bearings. Could someone please tell me how i can change these in my Corolla. if it matters, the front brakes are Disc, the back Drum.

Third Problem: The car has manual steering (no P/S) and as i turn i notice a sort of clicking/clunking sound sometimes, again from what i understand, this is the CV joints that need replacing and again, could someone please shed some light on this ?

Fourth Problem: I took off my Distributor cap the other day and noticed some oil pooling in the bottom of it, i assume there is a seal that needs replacing. Could someone please again help with how to replace this and where to get the seal?

FINAL problem.. For now: I looked at my Rocker cover the other day and it has a TINY bit of oil seeping from it, so I have decided to change it, i know how to do this (Although have never done it personally before) . Is there any tips for doing this?

Thank you for your time and i appreciate all responses as this helps me get closer to my goal of having a somewhat good as new Corolla that is practically problem free until i get rid of it or until it kicks the bucket. Thank you again.

Members dont see this ad

Gday and welcome to Rollaclub.

First problem: I am not sure if the timing needs to be done however, i was hoping someone could please tell me how i can tell if it needs to be done?

More like to be the timing belt that you are thinking of. These should be changed eveery 100000 kms. You're right in the window. If you can't find evidence of it being changed, it'd pay to do it.

Second Problem: As i drive along above 80Km/H i notice the car to become a bit shaky, from what i understand, this is the wheel bearings. Could someone please tell me how i can change these in my Corolla. if it matters, the front brakes are Disc, the back Drum.

Try getting your wheels balanced. Wheel bearings make noise. Shakiness points to balancing. Any tyre shop will do this for minimal outlay.

Third Problem: The car has manual steering (no P/S) and as i turn i notice a sort of clicking/clunking sound sometimes, again from what i understand, this is the CV joints that need replacing and again, could someone please shed some light on this ?

Yes, CV's sound about right. Replace the whole shaft. If you're okay on the tools, you can do it yourself. Budget maybe $300 for the shafts. Do both sides, then you'll never have to worry about them again.

Fourth Problem: I took off my Distributor cap the other day and noticed some oil pooling in the bottom of it, i assume there is a seal that needs replacing. Could someone please again help with how to replace this and where to get the seal?

Not big on dizzys. Someone else can answer that one. :)

FINAL problem.. For now: I looked at my Rocker cover the other day and it has a TINY bit of oil seeping from it, so I have decided to change it, i know how to do this (Although have never done it personally before) . Is there any tips for doing this?

Don't do this yet as it'll come off for the timing belt. (Possibly, don't know 4AFC's at all......) If not, do it when you do the timing belt. Make sure everything is super clean, and all bolts are evenly tensioned.

Hope this helps.

R