August 27, 201115 yr comment_549553 How/what is measured to determine if a O.D. strut housing is SR5 50mm or not SR5 45mm? I ask in relation to ordering a Coilover Conversion Kit, 71-73 Toyota Corolla (Front) from ground control. Report
August 27, 201115 yr comment_549554 Simple, measure the Outside Diameter! Get yourself some cheap plastic verniers if you don't already have some, it will make it simple. If you have a domestic 71-73 then it's highly likely you have small struts, but you will want to check before ordering. Report
August 27, 201115 yr Author comment_549555 Ok thanks, also any suggestions for a spring rate? appox 800kg, rough gravel driving. Report
August 27, 201115 yr comment_549556 Find some AE86 struts to do a coilover conversion on. There is a better range of shocks available so suit AE86 struts, with the option to cut the strut down to fit shorter shocks. Report
August 27, 201115 yr comment_549587 Yeah I should have added that as well. If you've got the 44mm struts, upgrade to something 51mm. Getting decent shocks for the smaller strut is near impossible and would make the trouble of a coil over conversion not worth it. If you've got 51mm then you're a lot better off. I'm experimenting with spring rates myself at the moment. I'm going by the AE86 Rally setup in the Corolla Bible and an old Escort rally prep manual. At the moment I'm going for around 110lb/in in the front of my khana car for reasonably well graded gravel. I intend to try around 140-150lb/in at some stage. According the the Escort prep manual 145lb/in is the go for a general loose surface spring. I've not tried them yet though, so that could be crap :) Edited August 27, 201115 yr by snot35 Report
August 28, 201115 yr comment_549606 Be careful. I'm not sure where you are (?), but if you are in the US or ordering from the US, your struts may well be different to what we have in Australia? Measure what you have and make sure you know what you are ordering. Report
August 28, 201115 yr Author comment_549737 The Vehicle is a Australian delivered 68 ke10, ke20 struts fitted. I already have koni red adjustable's and would like to work with them for now. I will measure OD and e mail ground control to confirm the compatibility. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now