Vs Ute

Kid-Ae

It's currently got a 2.5" Redback on it. It's OK, but around 3000rpm it drones like all hell. I want an exhaust that has a nice burble and a bit of rasp to it, rather than the hunk of junk on it. So a 2.25 will do me better than the 2.5 around town? Never been overly sure on which way to go. Getting conflicting information about putting headers on too. If I win the set I'm looking at on ebay then I'll put them on and see how it sounds and feels.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making a third reverse light. Found a driving light casing to use and already have all the mounting hardware.

Now all I need to do is get a decent globe and wire it up. Going to route it through the reverse light wire of the trailer plug, splicing it before the plug head.

This way, when I reverse, instead of seeing nothing, i shall see everything :)

Not sure which way to go globe wise though.. Thoughts?

A 2.25 was better than a 2.5 around town in my VR, even frequent passengers said it felt more torquey. It is worth noting that VR's don't run ecotecs but have the same capacity motor, so results on a VS should be similar, unless you put some money into the engine, and made it need a 2.5 to breathe well.

Where are you going to mount the 3rd reverse light? Why not just put brighter globes (within reason) in the factory reverse light spots?

Ahhk, i'll talk to the exhaust guy about it because I just want something that sounds decent. Might even put a dumpy tip on for lols.

Basically going to mount it to the rear panel, parallel to the number plate. Even with better globes, it's like reversing into a black hole. If I run a decent light in it, then it'll be a welcome addition and light up everything behind me, rather than the factory position that doesn't show anything in the dark until you've basically gotten to within 5 inches of something behind you.

It's going onto a bracket with a pivot, and i'll run a switch under it so it'll also double up as a rear spotlight if ever needed.

• 1 month later...

Ordered new front struts for it recently and waiting on them to be delivered. Also going to order control arm bushes, castor bushes, tie rod end bushes and short stroke rear shocks soon when i get paid next.

Going to organize some time with a flat driveway to attempt to put it all in on one day. Going to begin pretty early and try to do front and rear shocks (putting lower rear springs i have in too) and then the bushes while the front end is apart. Should take a good four hours or so, so long as there are no problems.

Keen! :)

Going to be replacing some interior pieces once that is all done and my bank account recovers slightly. Redoing carpet behind the seats and making my own roof lining. Also considering vinyl wrapping many plastic sections of my interior (all the plastic trim basically) as my new boss has huge piles of vinyl he wants to pass off. Will look nice hopefully!

• 2 weeks later...

New struts, link pin bushes and control arm bushes are going in Wednesday. Also a wheel alignment.

Looking at sourcing an LSD soon for it, my single pegger is whining a bit much for my liking. When I find a decent second hand LSD, i'll also redo the uni joints.

Was under the car during the week, found a decent section of exhaust between headers and cat that has been crushed (think it is the cause of my massive baffle at 3000rpm). Will look into some headers.

EDIT: Also going to finally replace my non existent exhaust hangers at the gearbox... Been put together with one piece of wire lol... Managed to pick a nice dodgy car..

Then need to get the retaining clip for the auto trans lines, they're leaking because they aren't bolted down properly at the motor and are moving, causing a nice layer of crap to sit over the gearbox..

Edited by Kid-Ae

• 3 months later...

Been a real headache lately.

Lucky for me, Dale at ACE in Croydon is a fantastic mechanic to deal with and has sorted the problem for me (we hope, will know tomorrow) would take any car to him and recommend him to anyone who needs a no bullshit mechanic.

Car was having a shit of a time and was missing bad, only running on 3cyl until it was at operating temperature and even then it wasn't a lot better.

Replaced DFI, Coils, Leads and Plugs (all three times each, in all separate combinations) as the initial replacement ones (Bosch) were no good.

Had to keep giving the car over to Dale nearly every day (he didn't have a spare this week) and hope whatever they tried would crack the problem.

What is even better is how little he charged me to have these all done. For new DFI, coils, plugs, leads and countless hours testing, retesting and retesting again, it came to parts cost only, so I was only up for about $280.

Could be in the market in the new year for a different car.. We will see how money goes as i'll be moving out of home in January.

Edited by Kid-Ae

• 4 weeks later...

Bought Corolla.

New Job opportunity with a lot more money came up too. So now working two jobs and should be watching the money flowing in soon enough.

Thinking of keeping both and getting this in for VT or VE brake upgrade and VT master to match, then raise the front to king lows (SL bumpsteers a little too much), then get a new diff centre. Possibly some MACE goodies but we'll see how much I spend on the Corolla too. Just don't want to part with this, especially after all the hassle ive had and the time, money and effort already put in (and knowing ill never get that back so why not go even further)

Yeah was looking at the 298x28mm upgrade, match it to a vt master/booster and it should pull up nicely and no longer have a pedal longer than the floor. Unsure what i'll be up for cost wise as I don't like playing with brakes.

Found a reco'd LSD centre for $350 delivered, so tempting, just going to wait a week or two for the funds.

VT brake kit before December alongside;

LSD Centre (under $500 for a fitted reco)

Uni joints

Trans lines fixed (leaking a little)

82 Degree MACE Thermostat

Radiator Flush

Front raised to King Spring Lows.

Major Service

Little further down the line:

MACE Roller Rockers

K&N Panel Filter OR MACE CAI

Fix huge dent in Y piece

Dumpy tip on exhaust

Custom remote tune/memcal