Plumbing For Su Carb On 4K

AJC

Hi All,

I apologise for the 'simple' questions I am about to ask! I am in the process of fitting SU carbs to my 4k motor in a ke10.

I have a couple questions regarding the SU carbs and also a couple questions regarding connections to/from the carbs:

In the attached pics

#1 - should this be plugged? I have seen some pics where there is a rubber cap on this point and some where this is left open like shown in the pic

#2 - on the front SU this fitting has a rubber plug. On the back SU this fitting is open - I assume that this is a vacum point - is this for the vac adv on the distributor?

#3 - there is another rubber tube off the head - where should this be plumbed into?

#4 - is this the fitting for the vacum adv for the dist? if so then what should #2 be used for?

Also - The manifold has been tapped - I assume this is for the vacum for brake booster (As the ke10 is unassisted brakes I assume I just blank this off)

Thanks guys, sorry for the simple, non technically phrased questions.

Anthony

Presentation1.pdf

Edited by AJC

Members dont see this ad

OK- read this-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/

#1 is for engine fumes and goes to an air cleaner such that it sucks clean air into the motor and the fumes going out get burned. Does it have a PCV system?

#2 is blanked off on one carb and the other does the charcoal filter on mine.

#3 Aha! That is the other half of your PCV system. One goes into inlet manifold via the brake booster plug, but it will need a PCV valve in it. The other goes to the air cleaner as mentioned.

#4 That's the one for the dizzy vac.

What needles are you using? ..and what cam and compression ratio? I see you have the 4-1 extractors that I also use.

I don't see choke cables... You can buy twin choke cables qute easily.

..and a fuel pressure regulator?? The SUs don't like much pressure or they get prone to flooding.

Are they Smithius' old carbs? Great trumpets!

Thanks for the help Altezzaclub.

Yes the car has a PCV - I have done some more research and understand the connections for this now!

#2 is blanked off on one carb and the other does the charcoal filter on mine. - what function does the charcoal filter do? I assume that it is emissions related :scarymovie:

Needle size I am not sure. Motor at this stage is a stock 4k. Just got the extractors - from Hurricane - very happy with them - brand new delivered within a day and cheaper that I could source a second hand pair!

- I bought the SU's off a forum member several years ago. I think it may have been kangaroosa but not sure... it was quite a while ago.

Choke cables and throttle cable have not been mounted as yet. Tomorrow nights job.

No fuel pressure regulator - I know the SUs work on low pressure but have never head of this being an issue. I thought the float would be sufficient to regulate.

Found another minor problem tonight - they have a leak around the jet assembly sleeve nut. I have pulled them off and found the rubber grommet in the base of the float chamber has perished. I have taken them off and will put a kit through them.

Any recommendations for companies to source rebuild kits for SUs?

Edited by AJC

SUMidel in Sydney. I bought my needles and trumpets through them.

http://www.sumidel.com/

Charcoal filter is meant to absorb the fuel vapour when the car is sitting still & getting hot and the vapour pressure in the tank increases. Then when you drive, the carb sucks fresh air through the charcoal and burns the petrol fumes as they get flushed off.

Get the carbs running then worry about needles. They will have two or three letters stamped into them and there are charts showing how the hundreds of them all relate to one another. If they've been tuned for a 4K before, they should be pretty close. If they flood out the top occasionally then fit a regulator.

Buy a twin choke cable.. You can drive without them but life is much simpler when you can pull the choke out. I get first time start every time, frost, snow, rain...

Get the biggest 2" resonator you can, then decide what you want to do with the rest of the exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was worth an update. Pulled the SU's off and put a full kit through them. Got all the parts and advise I needed from http://www.sumidel.com/ They were super helpful and really great to deal with. Got the SU's fitted and started her up. Very grumpy, running like a dog and backfiring fuel through the carbies out the ram tubes..... then I remember that I had forgotten to plug the vacuum off the manifold - so there was just a small vacumm leak!

Take 2 - plugged the vacuum leak and it starts and runs fine, although a little loud as I only have the extractors fitted. Anyway during the week I got a new exhaust fitted - 1.75" - sounds fantastic. Awesome sound and the SUs are running ok.

Took the wife out for a run the other night (edit - in the car) - ran fantastic SUs need adjusting however it ran great... first time the car has been on the road in 5 years, makes it worth while....

Edited by AJC