Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Help! Strut Removal Ae71

Featured Replies

I'm putting some new shocks in the front of the 71 and I'm having a bit of trouble getting the struts out, I have removed the 3 little nuts on the top, and the 2 on the side of the bottom and the little one right on the bottom. The strut still won't pop out of the bottom, any help would be much appreciated!

From memory, I'm pretty sure I wedged a breaker bar in between the swaybar and the castor rod(?) and pushed down. I had one of my mates holding the strut while doing this, ready to pop it out.

 

post-16138-0-18304700-1356323114_thumb.jpg

 

Oh yeah, hang your brake calipers up somewhere to avoid having it on the ground like I did :P

Edited by LongJohnSilver

  • Author

Success! thanks fellas

  • Author

Ok now how to take the shock out of the strut? Haha

There is a nut at the top of the strut casingyou have to undo (the gland nut). To get the strut/spring top off you'll need a rattle gun (or do what I do and use vice grips on the shock piston, seeing as you're replacing them you wont have to worry about scratching the pistons). To tighten the strut tops back on the new shocks I use vice grips again but pad the teeth with something soft but grippy like some rubber to avoid scratches. Also grip the piston as high as possible.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

  • Author

I've got everything apart, spring and top of strut off and nut undone on the shock I just can't get the shock out of the strut?

Ahhh, they are wedged in there good are they? You may need to put the piston in a vice and hit the strut in the opposite direction. And soak that bitch with WD40.

 

Or are these those weird ones you need to unscrew with a special tool. Is there two holes on the top of the shock on either side of the piston?

 

Pics?

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

  • Author

Ahh yes there are two holes, I just smashed them out and they eventually did come out lol, with king springs the closer coils go at the top?

with king springs the closer coils go at the top?

 

You are correct sir.

  • Author

Cheers for your help guys! Other side took about half hour start to finish haha

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.