Stock Aisan 4K Carby Leans Out

luk3333

After installing my AFR I've noticed that the carb leans out really bad when you jump on the throttle (like to 21 AFR). I previously thought it was bogging down to over fuelling but obviously not. If i put the choke on about 1/4 it solves the problem but idles rich, usually it idles stoich right on 14.7. So I'm thinking it might be a partially blocked jet in the secondary throat? I'm not very experienced with carbs so some input would be great.

Members dont see this ad

check the pump diaphram is working- just look down the throat and work the throttle by hand. You should see a stream of petrol squirted in down by the venturi.

It is meant to richen it when you boot it, so if that is where it is lean I reckon its blocked or leaking.

• 2 weeks later...

So its not quite fixed, its better since i unstuck the arm that controls the pump, but if i put my foot down suddenly at any rpm i can see it go up to 16 on the afr then slowly drop back to 13 or 12 and i can feel the power come on. It's not that bad when highway or town driving, but it kills spirited wet driving. I can see the pump diaphram squirting in extra fuel when you apply throttle and i can't detect this problem when idling but when in any gear if I boot it, it just leans out, accelerates slow then picks back up as it richens up again

What's the second choke setup? Still vacuum?? Any chance of the second throat opening before the intake velocity is built up enough to cover it?

It sounds like a full carb strip into a thousand pieces and go over it with solvent and a compressor. The Celica was leaning out like that on the rally two weeks ago so I pulled the DCOEs off and did exactly that. Steve said it pulled like a schoolboy all night over this last weekend. Must have been some dirt in the drillways or something in the jets I couldn't see.