My Original Owners Manual.

I've just had the thought to scan, clean up, and reprint my owners manual. It's getting in pretty bad shape and has some scrawling on it from back when it's rarity wasn't appreciated.

I will have to hunt up a scanner, I haven't had one in quite some time and they need to be really good captures. I have Photoshop and CorelDraw so I can set up a file for a print shop to use. Most should be able to use a Corel file even though my version is old, I'll do several different types. Two pages will fit a standard sheet, your 'standard' may be different, ours is 8 1/2 x 11 inches. The book is 8 1/4 x 5 1/8. I'd have two covers so might as well print two whole books. Does anyone think there would be any issues with reprinting? It's 50 years old, would Toyota or a print shop have a problem?

post-3326-0-69892200-1428557174_thumb.jpg

It's for the old puppies, I think '66-'68 since they added the 1200 after that...so probably not that many need one and I don't know if the same one was used down there, if so I'll post the file here, anyone who wanted one could download the file and print their own. Once cut it just staples in the center and folds.

The cover is thicker gloss paper/card stock with a kind of pebble grain to it. The pages are matte and a bit thicker than notebook paper.

post-3326-0-52175000-1428559049_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of places where they actually just glued new type in instead of reprinting, one illustration done like this is missing so it won't be perfect but will look good in the glove box.

post-3326-0-59717400-1428559712_thumb.jpg

Also I have never seen one of those original roof racks from the options list, I think one of those would be cool, may have to recreate one, I like the wood slats. I've done my Instrument cluster and other dash pieces in teak and working on a wood and vinyl design for the door panels.....it'll be as luxurious as a Rolls...haha...a Rolls Canardly....rolls down one hill ...canardly make it up the next.

post-3326-0-85431900-1428559113_thumb.jpg

Fresh off the assembly line.

post-3326-0-02770100-1428559331_thumb.jpg

If you want one be patient...I have little spare time, it will take a lot of work to clean up the photos but it will be done.

Members dont see this ad

Doh!...that does look better than mine...I hadn't even looked around for one..but creating a new file would also be like another restoration project for me...without the grease and bloody knuckles this time. After the car is all new and shiny I'll give it a shiny new manual for it's next 50 years.

And being the poor cheap sunny beach that I am, I bet I can print 20 pages black and white and one full color page cheaper than $20.

I've just looked back into ebay...I Would like a NOS Haynes 67-74 manual but they want too many hoops jumped through...they all want paypal and paypal wants your bank account, not just your card number ...screw all that. nope nope nope

Some nefarious hacker type might get in there and get my life savins ($12) and ruin my credit rating (.072)

Don't get the Haynes manual. Genuine Toyota Manuals are far better.

I like to collect them, and the earlier the manual, the more a work of art. And then there are the real anorak editions such as the Vibration and Noise repair manual, or the Seat Belt system repair manual.

By the time you get to the AE86 manual, it is amazing how little is in there compared to the Japanese edition.

You know you want a Vibration and Noise repair manual!

The noise and vibration is the only way I can tell it's running!

I got all kinds of noise and vibration below 65mph...at 75mph it either goes away or gets so high pitched I can't hear it. So i just go 75.

Actually I have a problem with u-joints...spinning the cup because the hole is worn...makes a screaming racket the same tone as tapping on the driveshaft gives you. I use this stuff called "bearing mount", it's like a super loktite but doesn't last forever. may eventually have to weld and recut.