Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
7000rpm

Pertronix, Msd And Other Electronic Ignition Options

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I am wondering what type of ignition systems have found to be good for k series engines. I gather many would have nippon denso electronic dizzys, converted from points.

Has anyone tried the Pertronix Australia conversion kit? Or used an MSD system to increase spark and have a rev limiter option?

I'm building a 4k with 11.5:1 compression and twin sideraughts for mostly track racing. Am curious of the electronic ignition options of what has proven to be reliable and perform well

Edited by 7000rpm

Members dont see this ad

I use a denso 5k electronic dizzy with a Streetfire CDI (MSD's budget line) with a Bosch coil and 1.0 gapped plugs.

Capacitive discharge, multi spark to 3000rpm and rev limiter.

More energy that you'll every need.

I'm running a MSD 6-AL with their Blaster2 (i think) coil with a 4k points distributor (because the advance curve was a little better than the 5k one). Basically the same as Gavins but with more spark but for more monies. I probably wouldve gone the streetfire if i hadn't of gotten the 6al for mates rates.

Don't get too excited about MSD rev limiter tho, its more of a safety precaution for run away engines than a limiter to bounce off like the BeeR the silvia boys run.

I found that it was only when i have super heavily modified my motor that i even need to go as far as an MSD.