AE86 Ignition Switch sluggish

parrot

The ignition switch in my AE86 has lost it's "action".  By which I mean that it is a bit sluggish when turning the key, and doesn't spring back promptly to ON after you start it, and release the key.

I've removed the ignition lock from the housing, and it just feels like it needs to be dismantled, given a good clean and lubricated.

Does anyone one know how to remove the barrel from the lock?

Also, I'm wondering if the switch wiring section with the plastic cartridge in it contains a spring, as there is clearly no return spring mechanism in the lock itself.  I intend trying to buy a replacement one of these as my wiring has been cut up over the years.

Edited by parrot

Members dont see this ad

IMG_2073.JPG.8aecde443b2674ecc8c3e699f6cf8c8b.JPGSo of course it was predictably simple. Plenty on google about removing the assembly, but nothing on dismantling the cylinder. The gold tab you can see on the end of the cylinder is spring loaded and you simply lever it down with a small screwdriver and pull gently on the key and out it comes. 

The remnants of old dried grease were doing a good job of inducing plenty of drag. A good squirt with electracleen and clean up with rag and cotton buds and spray with lithium grease and it's as good as new. 

Watch you don't lose the tab which easily falls out and only goes back in one way (or the tiny spring). Also there is an odd shaped magnet which also only goes in one way and retains the key in the lock. 

The assembly is shared between AE86's and other AE/CE8x chassis as well as Tercels if you lose any bits. 

Edited by parrot