Box-shaft-diff compatibility

ausgoss

Just wondering if some one can tell me which gearboxes, tail shafts and diffs match up? 

Currently my ke30 has a 2speed auto with the Jap diff. Looking at swapping to manual, currently there is a 5 speed from a ke70 for sale. I also have a parts ke30 with a Borg Warner diff but no other running gear. What tail shaft/s will work for me? Can I use a ke70 tailshaft(also one of these for sale) or are they too long? 

Cheers, 

Austin 

Members dont see this ad

Hi Austin,

I have a 2 door KE30 that came from factory with 2 speed auto & Jap diff.  I did the KE70 5 speed conversion, & it worked perfectly, with the original auto tail shaft.

However, you might want to go B/W diff, as the original auto diff, will probably be a 1.43:1 ratio, & you might like sometime a bit taller like 4.11:1 or even 3.89:1, if you can get one.

With the B/W diff you will require a different tailshaft, as the tailshaft/diff flanges are different.

This  Ke70 5 speed mod does however require the following.

Opening up the hole in the "tunnel" a bit at the rear end.

Acquiring a manual pedal box.

Acquiring a manual clutch cable.

Bypassing the auto park switch, which stopped it from starting.

Best mod you'll probably ever do to your Rolla.

Cheers Banjo

Thanks Banjo, 

So a Ke70 tailshaft will be the right length? 

My parts car has the manual pedal box, clutch cable should be easy to get. 

I'm guessing the centre console for the manual ke30 won't line up with the ke70 shifter, could a ke70 console be retro fitted?

I'm not in a hurry to do the conversion but parts don't come up in wa too often so I want to snap them up when they're available. 

Cheers, 

Austin 

Hi Austin,

I have very good news for you.   The KE30 auto console perfectly suites the manual conversion.  I think I remember cutting away, just the barest amount of plastic.

I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow, & post it in your post here.

Cheers Banjo