Points Shitting Me To Tears

Its now 114pm. It's been years and years since I have had to deal with points.

I went out and bought some new points coz the car was taking ages to start and coughing under load and not holding idle. Checked them and they didn't seem ot be opening and the rubbing block looked pretty worn.

Anyways I fit the new points and now I can't get it to spark. I have set the gap at 0.4 and also tried 0.5.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the key is in the "on" position I should be able to get the points to spark when they open? Well I can't. I got no sprak. Any ideas??

Help...Craig

Members dont see this ad
Correct me if I'm wrong but when the key is in the "on" position I should be able to get the points to spark when they open? Well I can't. I got no sprak. Any ideas??

it should.

maybe condensor is stuffed? you remembered to reconnect the lead from the the coil that attaches to the dizzy?

does it have 12v at the coil with the ignition on?

I don't have multi or test light to be able to test this. I can't get spark out of the HT lead when I crank either. I only drove it this morning.

Edited by NoPsi

where the points lead connects inside the dizzy isn't somehow shorting out on the dizzy body?

SOLVED

This comment here was the winner. I was just looking at the wrong place on the wire. I was looking inside th dizzy for an earth when in actual fact the thread that goes through the dizzy wall was earthing on the outside of the dizzy wall. This was because the bakelite washer had disintegrated and I didn't realise as it wasn't there when I undid it.

This explains why sometimes it would start and sometimes not. The bakelite washer was falling apart and the points wire would randomly earth out on the dizzy body. The car shaking around would move it on and off the body. Problem fixed with a piece of rubber instead. Cheers Felix.