Ke38 front spring thud whilst turning

Jammcn07

Hey guys,

So ive done the dirty on the front springs in my wagon, and chopped about 1 1/2 coils off to lower her a bit.  Yes I did purchase lowering spring, however they changed it FA. So out came the grinder. 

Now or when I’m turning sharp at low speed, ie into or out of a parallel park etc. either spring dependant on the direction I’m turning gives a good “THUDDDDDD” followed by the shockwave through the car. 

Ive seen what the spring is doing, it’s is rotating with the turn of the wheel, the sound is when the bottom of the spring skips over the spring locator indent in the bottom spring locator plate. 

My my question is WHY...??? 

Why is the spring turning?? How to I stop this annoying and embarrassing situation!!

cheers

JM

Members dont see this ad

How is the top of the spring located in the plate? Is it flat at the top with a ground spring or a cut spring in a locator on the plate.

What's happening is that the top of the spring is being forced to stay with the turret mount, so it seems the top bearing is not working or the top plate is jammed. The strut, the spring and the top mount should all rotate easily together.

Got photos?

• Like 1