7KE Number of temperature sensors

HasithaR

Hi Guys,

I am rewiring a 7KE engine (DIY). I think I can see 2 sensors near the thermostatic valve and would like to know the following. Deeply Appreciate you experts help.

1. How many temperature sensors does 7kE has and where are they located.

2. What is the purpose of them. ( I mean is one for the computer box and other to the dash board, etc...)

I have attached a picture. Your support to understand this is very much appreciated.. Thanks..

Temp Sensors.jpg

Members dont see this ad

You can download the 7KE manual on line, in a pdf format at

https://www.academia.edu/31028809/Toyota_7K_Engine_Repair_Manual

I would assume that one temp sensor is for the dash temp guage, & the other is fed to the very basic ECU that the 7KE engine had.

The thermostatic valve will probably connect to the dissy vacuum advance bellows to assist timing emissions requirements, until coolant temperature has reached temperature.   Good luck getting the original ecu to work properly.  Best option, would probably be to "ditch" the original olde factory ecu, & fit an aftermarket programable ecu.

What sort of vehicle is your 7KE fitted to ?

Cheers Banjo

5 hours ago, Banjo said:

You can download the 7KE manual on line, in a pdf format at

https://www.academia.edu/31028809/Toyota_7K_Engine_Repair_Manual

I would assume that one temp sensor is for the dash temp guage, & the other is fed to the very basic ECU that the 7KE engine had.

The thermostatic valve will probably connect to the dissy vacuum advance bellows to assist timing emissions requirements, until coolant temperature has reached temperature.   Good luck getting the original ecu to work properly.  Best option, would probably be to "ditch" the original olde factory ecu, & fit an aftermarket programable ecu.

What sort of vehicle is your 7KE fitted to ?

Cheers Banjo

Thanks Banjo. I think you are right. I could trace the wires from the sensor on the left directly to the dash board. However, one pin of this sensor was not connected and still it gives reading. So i assume that the body of the sensor is earthed automatically. Will check that also.  New ecu is also a good idea. But I have no clue where or howto get one from. Will I be able to use the same sensors and the wiring harness? This engine is fitted to a Suzuki samurai SJ410 a small 4WD jeep. 

I gather that the "Suzuki Samurai"attracts a lot of upgrades, using different engines, fitted to them; all with more torque that the original Suzuki engine. 

I presume your Samurai, is one of them.  Some good videos on the net, showing their off road clearance & abilities.  The 7KE had the best torque output of any of the K Series engines.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUGYr8KRc4

I would imagine, if the 1.8 litre  7KE was fitted by others, to your Suzuki, that they mated is engine wiring, into the Suzuki original loom, or simply, built a new wiring harness from scratch.  I would suggest that you get hold of the 7KE wiring diagram, which appears to be available on line.  The 7KE ECUs are still available on ebay, but you'd certainly be better served, getting hold of an aftermarket MegaSquirt, of Speeduino, etc. as a kit & build it yourself.  Lots of fun !

image.png.e677b7f0df7c9cfcd5191e71208c2fec.png

So have you actually had your 7KE engine running, or are you trying to get it going ?   What's the engines history ?  Where are you located ?

There is some ECU pin-out info on RollaClub at the following link.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/52562-7ke-pinout-drawing/#entry535781

Also a bit of stuff, on the Club K website, also.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

1 hour ago, Banjo said:

I gather that the "Suzuki Samurai"attracts a lot of upgrades, using different engines, fitted to them; all with more torque that the original Suzuki engine. 

I presume your Samurai, is one of them.  Some good videos on the net, showing their off road clearance & abilities.  The 7KE had the best torque output of any of the K Series engines.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUGYr8KRc4

I would imagine, if the 1.8 litre  7KE was fitted by others, to your Suzuki, that they mated is engine wiring, into the Suzuki original loom, or simply, built a new wiring harness from scratch.  I would suggest that you get hold of the 7KE wiring diagram, which appears to be available on line.  The 7KE ECUs are still available on ebay, but you'd certainly be better served, getting hold of an aftermarket MegaSquirt, of Speeduino, etc. as a kit & build it yourself.  Lots of fun !

image.png.e677b7f0df7c9cfcd5191e71208c2fec.png

So have you actually had your 7KE engine running, or are you trying to get it going ?   What's the engines history ?  Where are you located ?

There is some ECU pin-out info on RollaClub at the following link.

https://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/52562-7ke-pinout-drawing/#entry535781

Also a bit of stuff, on the Club K website, also.

Cheers Banjo

Thanks again Banjo. Yes this one had a completely new harness on it built from scratch. It was running fine until i gave it for a paint job to a nearby garage who has messed up the wiring when fixing back. They have messed up my dashboard wiring, burnt a few gauges and I am trying to put it in order by my self. Thank you for the lot of information. I will try checking all of them. I have a concern on the pump control system. I think the petrol pump suppose to come on during "ON" and switch off automatically by the ecu if there is no ignition. I don't think this is working and trying to find out how this engine on signal comes to the ecu. I read somewhere that ecu has to receive NE signal or something. I have no idea what this is.  Anyway, I had to replace the fuel pump and right now I am struggling to seal the pump flange on the fuel tank. the gasket has deteriorated badly. as this is a mod, i don't know which unit they have fixed as the pump assembly as the original combination is not having a fuel pump in the tank, a carb model. I am from Sri Lanka and we don't have much DIYers here. So not much help....

On 4/13/2022 at 5:15 PM, HasithaR said:

Thanks Banjo. You are a great help. will read these and come back...

Hi again Banjo. 

I managed to start the 7KE. It works. But the petrol pump does not activate in "ON" position. It works only when cranking and engine running. is this normal for 7KE? Also I am trying to trace the check engine bulb wiring. Does this come from ECU?

thanks..

Not familiar specifically with the 7KE hi pressure fuel pump, for an EFI fuel injection, but there are a lot of safety features that turn off high pressure fuel pumps, when they are not required.  This is particularly relevant in the case of an accident, or a roll-over, where you certainly wouldn't want raw fuel pumping out, & possibly creating a serious fire.

Logically, you wouldn't want a high pressure fuel pump running, when the engine is not running; so maybe that's the way the 7KE ECU is designed.

Others may be able to add to this.

P.S.   You maybe interested to read this info regarding the 7KE on this sites Wiki, which I'm sure you could find useful.

https://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/K_Series/EFI

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo