Am I Stupid?

mumblezzz

So, while I was over at peteys the other day I was f@$king around with this CT12 he's had sitting in his garage for months and it got me thinking...

Now your probably thinking right now, "Oh no hes going to bolt it onto his 4AGE" right? But that would be the rational thing to do now wouldn't it?

Have I ever been known to think rationally?

I propose...... The 4A-CT. Yes, you heard right.

Now i can source the main parts like the turbo, IC for cheap. (read nothing) but things like blow-throuh carby, manifold, water/oil lines, piping etc i'll have to shell out for.

Now. What are people thoughts on this idea. I'm not chasing big power or anything. Just a modest increase and the obvious turbo wank factor. But it has to be on the cheap.

I also need ideas on what carby to use (ie 626 turbo)

Can it be done or have I been smoking too much crack?

Members dont see this ad

another way you could possibly go is 4afe.

my mate pete just put one in his ae82 hatch. cost him bugger all for engine, box, harness and computer. someones leftovers from a gze conversion. it goes real good now. seems a lot torquier than the other 4ags i've been in.

add turbo. no idea whats involved to drop it in, or what you would do with fuelling and how best to drop the CR. something a bit different.

dropping the cr depends on the cr. if you were to turbo the 4afe you would have to either chip the existing coomputer, upgrade injectors/fuel pump, lower comp ratio, and get/make manifolds. yes 4afe's are very cheap. i picked one up complete with computer, loom, sensors, coils everything to make it run, for $150 in running condition. i tested compression etc and it was peferct. so i dropped it in a ke30 for a mate!

Some good ideas here.

I'd like to keep the costs down so engine swaps are out of the question.

Like I said its more of learning experience and for the "waah pshh" wank factor.

Whats the going rate for one of those weber carbs? Just trying to sort out the cost of the job.

not sure on the cost of the DMTT.

i sort of scored it for helping a mechanic friend do up his RX4. the carb came off a turboed sigma, converted to blowthru, then EFI. very luck score. don't have a bonnet for it yet.

not bad having the potential to flow 250 HP intercooled.

yea, i'd lean the carbied 4ac myself. it's already in your car, and no wiring nightmares. you need to just not mind playing with carbs.

you should join the yahoo Carburetedblowers group

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Carburetedblowers/

search through the archives, tells you all you need to know about modifying carbs and fuels systems for blowthru forced induction.

basically your options are:

to put a carb in a sealed box, and pipe boost to it.

or seal the throttle shafts to minimise boost/fuel leakage, and run a carb bonnet. also need to make air bleed mods. seems halving the air bleed area stops carbs going lean under high load boost conditions.

you could maybe use your existing carb if you were to put it in a carb enclosure.

maybe something more tunable like a 32/36 DGV weber would work better with a few mods.

you just would need a high pressure fuel system and rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

some twin turbo v8 guys simply use a mechanical pump, and simply pipe boost to below the diaphram, where the vents were. this makes the pump add an extra psi of fuel pressure for every psi of boost.

have seen cases of guys using a normal adjustable return style fuel pressure regulator and putting it inside the box, when running a carb enclosure setup. the FPR thinks the boost level is normal atmospheric, so always stays your 4 psi or so above the boost pressure.