4ac Misbehaving

zmit

hey guys,

i was just out cruising in my ae82 driving it a little hard when it started misbeheaving. it seems like its starving itself between 20% and 80% throttle, full throttle and no throttle seems ALMOST fine. but between that it starts to effectively bunnyhop...

inconsistent torque?

its happened once before, and it fixed itself overnight (good old rollas) but this time i just want to know what it is....

any ideas? it seems to be a carbie thing cos it doesnt matter what speed it is, just throttle percentage. :P

cheers for ur help guys.

Members dont see this ad

Is it like a harsh cut in power (i.e. no power)? Idles fine? Try taking the vac line off vac advance and see if it stops. I had this problem and after stripping the carby down didnt fix it, I started taking off random vac lines until voila it went away. I suspect its just a short inside the distributor somewhere.

yeah, i have no idea what it could be now, started it up this morning and it ran fine... (the oil was dry tho, but thats probly me being slack.)

on another note, i took ur advice and started playing around with the vac hoses and noticed that when i took off hose 1 (see pic below)

the engine still ran fine but it took away the deep gurgling sound, anyone know what that is?

hose number 2, vac advance of some sort? dropped the idle a fair bit.

post-887-1159069562_thumb.jpg

Edited by zmit

yeah. ive slowly worked that out since then :P playing around with that vac hose as well as the pipe on the other end of it. went for a bit of a cruise with it :P that was fun....

so how exactly am i meant to get rid of it, and what benefit is there?

did you resolve this yet?? my pops 4ac sedan had a SIMILAR (not the same) porblem. but he stuffed around with his WAY to much as he is getting old, and likes to think he knows what he is talking about :jamie:

so i stole the car off him for a day, and got brand new plugs and leads and then adjusted the idle screw to make it idle a little (as it had a tendancy to stall if you didnt keep your foot on the pedal) and now it is running better than ever, MUCH smoother power delivery, and you can virtually let the clutch out pretty quick with no revs and it wil take of with out stalling.

Cheers

Nathan