Ae92 Instrument Cluster?

Members dont see this ad
I was wondering whether the tacho from an sx cluster should work if I just swapped it with my original non-tacho cluster? sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but my mate did it with his old hilux and it works, Thanks :dance:

Unfortunately, no. the actual shape of the cluster is different - where the standard one has the cut-out for the engine lights at the bottom, the SX one is pretty much flat, as the lights are in the middle top of the dash. its easy enough to change to complete cluster, and the wring loom for the stereo, is long enough to be directed to the lower part of the dash, where all you need to do is find a pocket/cupholders to mount underneath...

Outside of that, the tacho works fine - just is calibrated differently to the CSI one, due to increased range of operation...

I'll try and get some picks up later...

Edited by Bowler

Ah, You're getting youreself confused between the 3 different fashes that came out in the e9x model corollas. the one you have has the door light and no tacho. then theres the midrange spec which has 4 guages and is the same shape/has same plugs so is a quite simple cross over. then theres the sx dash, which has 7 dials, and stretches the entire raised part of the dash... Thats the one that MYSTIK was refering too, and the one which has the different shaped Tacho to the mid range/base model.

I have the mid range spec one , do any of you know how to get that to work? Thanks for your assistance in identifying the differences Bowler and sorry to be such a newb mystik

It should just plug in, using the same plugs. you shouldn't have to run any extra wiring for that one...

hmmm, ok. there should be 1 black wire within the loom (i think the one on the angle - the right plug). if you don't have this (surprising), it wont work. if you do, get an engine analyser onto it, because this'll be the the signal wire for the tacho... this wire connects to the a/c amplifier (assuming a/c installed) and the ignition coil. If there is one within the loom, and you're not getting a signal, check the output on the coil/or the continuity of the wire.

that shouldn't matter too much. so long as the black wire from the coil is connected to the loom, you should be right. the A/C amplifier and the coil lead run in parallel to the dash...

aka.

A/C Amp____

Coil________}--------------------------------------------------Dash