Suggestions For Exhaust Issue

GBKE15

Hey guys, it's been a while but now I am back on the corolla. I am still trying to find the best way to fix my exhaust issue that I am having and would like some suggestions.

The exhaust is hitting on the steering box and I don't knowo what the best way might be to fix it. I have attached a pic from the top so that you might see what I am talking about. I need to lower the engine on the drivers side (right if facing car) or lower on the other side. It seems that lowering on the pass side will give a little of the "uprighting" effect although, I am not sure if this will cause any issues. Maybe I need to lower the engine on both sides?

Open to suggestions, Thanks,

Glenn

post-625-1164821635_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

apparently sitting the engine more upright give you slightly (poofteenth you'd think) more power.

As far as I know there is no major issues with doing it. PM madrolla68 though and ask him as I know he has done it. :y:

Edited by Taz_Rx

hey glenn;

i had lots of trouble with this, the efi manifold made it simpler, but nut until i went with the header did i gain real clearance

to go efi i put a starlet left mount in so the fuel regulator would clear the master cylinder, that bought me a lot of exhaust clearance. arent you running a dual outlet starlet manifold?

Mikey,

I'm not sure what car the motor came out of. It's a 3k that came out of a 79 ish Corolla, I think. I bought it from one of the techs here at work and it came out of a relatives car so he couldn't remember. It is a dual plane exhaust which adds to the size by a good bit.

I have cut the exhaust off and hammered it a bit to make some more room. It's not the best way, but I really don't know how else to fix it for now. The more I get into it, the more I think that I should've gone with the single plane from the k motor, it would've been much easier and cheaper. I'm not sure if it helps much on the power side.

Do you still have the starlet dist? I may be interested if you do. If you can think of any other bits that might help me tweak some power out of this ride would be nice. By the way, I used your trick on the clutch with the tube to extend the adj. and it feels much better. Waht setup are you running again? 4k with efi? What car here did you pull that off of?

Thanks,

Glenn

hey glenn;

i had lots of trouble with this, the efi manifold made it simpler, but nut until i went with the header did i gain real clearance

to go efi i put a starlet left mount in so the fuel regulator would clear the master cylinder, that bought me a lot of exhaust clearance. arent you running a dual outlet starlet manifold?

'81-'84 toyota starlet

'81-'82 were carb, probably just like what you have now

'83-'84 were efi, good luck finding one

i still have the dizzy, $40 + shipping and it's yours, it's a straight drop in, no other mods (except a hotter coil maybe)

i have an efi exhaust manifold, hell, i have almost a complete setup, but the rarity makes them a premium

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up adjusting the pipe with a BFH and it seems to clear a lot better now :'( , not exactly the best solution, but I didn't have any more patience for the clunking. I figure that the amount of "adjustment" vs the excess piping that the exhaust shop left probably evened out.

Mikey, the starlet dizzy is elec, right? No points and more spark, this is a new one for me. I'll get with you after the holidays to hook up on it. Thanks for your help.

Glenn