Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I Think I Just Killed My Car...

Featured Replies

Hey everybody.........first post.

 

I'm out in Canada and am working on a couple of late 70's corolla's...both te31 four doors'. I love those 2tc's...but the things that previous owners have done!

 

I was just out working on putting in a tachometer into my 1977 te31 corolla (just to figure out how) and while i was at it, a spark happened while I was wiring stuff together and now absolutely nothing but the door buzzer works (sometimes). I'm totally clueless. I don't know much at all about electrical systems except the basics. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

 

I'm at a loss. I'm thinking it might be the fusible link on the battery positive terminal...but I'm not sure at all. If I put the key in the ignition the buzzer sounds, but, say, if I go to turn the key over to on, or I turn on the interior roof light, the buzzer stops and doesn't come back on for a few seconds. Everything was fine before I decided to strap in a switch to control the tach light. Brand new battery in there...hope its not dead now...

 

And only myself to blame...guess that's what I get for working on my car at 1 in the morning...

 

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Edited by -=efseven=-

its a good idea to remove the earth at the battery to avoid these situtations. how big a spark are we talking about? have you a multimeter to check for power?

  • Author

Yeah...I was too caught up in the moment installing the tach to remember to disconnect the battery. It wasn't that big of a spark, but it was right where the fusebox bolts on to the metal under the dash. I think it's the fusible link. I wasn't even aware that thing was even there until after I ran to my Haynes manual in a panic...my boss is going to kill me. I've gotta get to work in like...5 hours. Is there any way I can repair it for now? I'm assuming bypassing the fusible link is a really bad idea.

 

Checked my other Corolla...no fusible link...damn...

 

P.S. ...how the hell do I know if the fusible link IS blown?

Edited by -=efseven=-

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.