Speedometer Stuffed In My Ke70

hey all, my speedo in my ke70 just flickers up and down when i drive, ive taken out the speedo unit and reattached the plug that goes in the back but it still just flickers up and down. does anyone have any idea how to fix this? cheers, chris

Edited by -RoBeRtO-

Members dont see this ad

Check the speedo drive cog on the gearbox end of the speedo cable. Its probably missing some teeth. (They're only nylon) You can still get them new from Toyota but you'll have to take your old one with you so they can decipher the numbers on it and give you the right one.

If its still broken after coln72's suggestion i have a working speedo/dash here you can have for nothing, If you want it you can pick it up from Hamilton on the northside of Brisbane this coming Monday.

Des :yes:

hey all, my speedo in my ke70 just flickers up and down when i drive, ive taken out the speedo unit and reattached the plug that goes in the back but it still just flickers up and down. does anyone have any idea how to fix this? cheers, chris

i reckon Id be going to a wrecker and getting a speedo cable pretty soon

old corolla bloke

Nah, last for ages after a bit of a lube :cool:

in my experience, all be it limited. the common cause for this type of problem is that the speedo cable is broken about 50 to 75mm out of the gear box at the bend in the cable. this can be checked simply by undoing the cable from the drive and pulling the inner cable. the flicking is caused by the cable ends rubbing together and transfering partial drive to the speed head. should this not be the case and the cable is not damaged its easy to push it back making sure it has engaged the speedo head drive.

old corolla bloke