Trying To Identify Gearbox In My Ke10

Hey all,

I am trying to work out what gearbox I have in my KE10 - as some of you may know I'm about to do the 4AGE engine conversion, and I currently organising a T50 gearbox, but I am trying to figure out what I have now, so I can look up the specs for it.

At present I have a 1500cc 5k in the car with a 5 speed manual box, with a regular cable clutch.

I have done a bit of searching on the net and I figure that it is a K50 box, judging by what I have read on a few different sites, but really it could be anything....

The K50 box was used over different KE series corollas as well as the K40 yeah? Did the K40 come out in a 5 speed variation?

Does anybody know how I can id the gearbox - obviously there would be numbers stamped on it somewhere, so i will have a look as soon as I can.

And, if it is a K50, will it bolt straight up to a 4AGE? I know that it wont be able to handle the power of the 4AGE, just wondering....?

I am sourcing a 22 spline T50 box for the 4AGE, but the only one I can get at present from an importer in Sydeny is from a 3T engine, so I will need to get a bellhousing from a 3A orr 4A engine to make it fit the 4AGE.

Cheers

Davros

Members dont see this ad

From what I have read the k50 is a 5 speed box and the k40 is a 4 speed box and they will bolt to a k-series engine but not a 4age. I believe that the t50 came from the ae71 and ae86 that had the 4ac engine. The t5o will work with your engine but not ur k50. This is what I'm lead to belive from what I've read and am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jarrod

If its a 4 speed behind a 3K/4K/5K best bet is the gearbox is a K40

If its a 5 Speed behind a 3K/4K/5K best bet it is a K50

It is possible to get K-T bellhousings to adapt a T40/T50 gearbox to a 3K/4K/5K

You can't adapt a K40/K50 to an A series motor.

Find a T50 out of a AE71 or AE86 for your conversion and you will be right.

If you had of read the A series engine FAQ on our WIKI you would have found pretty much all the info you will ever need to do a 4AGE conversion.. :dance:

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?tit...n_Page#A_Series

Thanks for the feedback guys - very helpful.

Medicine Man- thanks for the info.

For the record, I have been doing a tonne of reading up on the conversion - I have deliberately tried to avoid posting obvious and stupid questions that will ensure me getting shot down in a hail of bullets, which is often justified for people who are out to leech information without doing their homework, but at times can be harsh on people who have had trouble finding something specific or are trying to clarify something.

I have printed out a heap of info on the different gearboxes that can be used for a 4AGE conversion, but some of it is conflicting compared to other info out there.

My post yesterday was in response to this section from Russell Turney's page located at: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age.htm

Begin Quote:

There are two RWD 5 speed gearboxes that will fit any 4AGE. These are called the K-50 and T-50. There are also 4 speed versions of the same gearboxes called the K-40 and T-40 fitted to other Toyotas, however these are rare. The 4 and 5 speed gearboxes are externally identical. Apparently the K-40 is only fitted to K series engines, whilst the T-40 is almost non-existent, however I managed to find one in a 2TG fitted Corolla. Check the number of gear lever positions - 5 or 6 (i.e. don't forget reverse!).

The K-50 has an integral bellhousing, utilises a cable clutch, and comprises two main alloy sections - front casting with bellhousing, and tail housing. There is also a pressed steel plate that bolts to the bottom of the front section. The T-50 has a separate bellhousing, uses a hydraulic clutch and comprises 4 main alloy castings - bellhousing, two diagonally split front gear casings, and a tail housing. This gearbox is often referred to as the 'split case' alloy 5 speed, and weighs 29 kg.

The K-50 is normally found behind 3A 1500 cc SOHC engines fitted to KE 70 series Corollas and AE 85 Corollas etc. The T-50/4A compatible bellhousing is fitted only to the RWD 4AGE and some 3A engines. The T-50 bellhousing has letters cast into the top section between the uppermost bellhousing to engine block bolt bosses that identify the engine it came from - 3A or 4AG etc.

In either case ensure you get the corresponding bell housing front cover plate (that bolts to the back of the block ahead of the flywheel), and the 2 cast stays that bolt between the bottom of the block and the lower portion of the bellhousing. Apparently the rear crankshaft bearings can flog out if these are omitted.

End Quote

So, as you know from my first post I have a KE10 with a 5k and a 5 speed box. I haven't put this engine and box in myself, so I have little idea of what has been done to the engine or what kind of box is in there.

I have been reading up on trying to identify the box, and just out of interest was wondering if it would fit to the engine I am putting in - obviously it won't, but I wanted to make sure.

As mentioned in my first post I am currently sourcing a T50 box for the engine, which I will use with a 3A or 4A bellhousing.

I wasnt sure if the K50 from a k-series engine would be the same as a K50 from the KE 70 series Corollas and AE 85 Corollas.

Davros

The K-50 has an integral bellhousing, utilises a cable clutch, and comprises two main alloy sections - front casting with bellhousing, and tail housing. There is also a pressed steel plate that bolts to the bottom of the front section. The T-50 has a separate bellhousing, uses a hydraulic clutch and comprises 4 main alloy castings - bellhousing, two diagonally split front gear casings, and a tail housing. This gearbox is often referred to as the 'split case' alloy 5 speed, and weighs 29 kg.

The K-50 is normally found behind 3A 1500 cc SOHC engines fitted to KE 70 series Corollas and AE 85 Corollas etc. The T-50/4A compatible bellhousing is fitted only to the RWD 4AGE and some 3A engines. The T-50 bellhousing has letters cast into the top section between the uppermost bellhousing to engine block bolt bosses that identify the engine it came from - 3A or 4AG etc.

I wasnt sure if the K50 from a k-series engine would be the same as a K50 from the KE 70 series Corollas and AE 85 Corollas.

Davros

You can tell that this is American, as we got the 5-speed K50 behind the 4K in some KE55s and KE70s. America never got the KE55 I think. And we never got the 3A in the AE70, and our AE86/85 (which one it is is up to debate) had the 4AC and T50.