Vr4 4g63 Dohc Into A Ke30

raff_gsr

A Steve Knight in Adelaide used to race a 4G63 Sigma in IPRA class with a supra box behind it.

Steve Knight

Adelaide, Australia

(08) 8325 1197

Sounds like a great conversion, one I had never thought of...

A 3.7 or 3.9 28 spline Skyline diff would be ideal, just fit a Lokka centre from http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm and away you go!

You can always change to a 4.1 Pintara centre if needed.

thank you very much! i'll definately get into contact with him! from what ive been told, they made a narrowblock gearbox for the sigma so that might be my option! about the diffs, if i went 4 point thingo from the fords, would that be lsd or would i need to grab her from a fairmont ghia/xr?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you very much! i'll definately get into contact with him! from what ive been told, they made a narrowblock gearbox for the sigma so that might be my option! about the diffs, if i went 4 point thingo from the fords, would that be lsd or would i need to grab her from a fairmont ghia/xr?

I think he works at a Mitsubishi dealership.

Go a 28 spline diff, some V8 Fords are 4 pinion 28 spline, VL turbos and V8 are too, and all VN Commodores onwards. Factory LSD's are crap and not worth the hassle.

Just get a 28 spline axle non LSD Skyline diff

and fit the Lokka into it.

OR

you can get them separate:

get a Pintara/Skyline housing/ brakes

Get 28 spline Skyline axles

VN, VP, VR or VS 28 spline diff centre

Lokka diff

There is a nice one owner very rare Chrysler Lancer "coupe" 76 model (first released in 1973 rally winner in Africa) at centre road wreckers in springvale melbourne about to be processed but 500 bucks otherwise. overrated and a shame to be put out to wreck as it would suit this conversion perfectly.

Ah no you steal my idea!!!! I thought i would be the first to do a 4g63t engine into a ke corolla only mines a ke20. (BTW 4g93t 1.8 from a gsr lancer wont work as its cam sensor is too big off back for firewall clearance)

Yes the Trition, Sigma, Starion boxes all blot up infact the jap made mitsubishi engines all have the same bell housing pattern from about 70's till late 90's so its easy, you will want the box from a sigma but as the tritons first gear will have your front wheels in the air.

I have a spare 4g64 engine sitting on floor that i sat into my rolla, if i could post a pic i would (don't know how) but the mounts miss out by about 10mm front to back, the engine sit back more. however volvo mounts yes volvo mounts should fix this on the drivers side, and a i think barina mount on the inlet side (had a flick through catalog) there is enough firewall clearance for your cam sensor yay for multi coil!!!

ahh upload button shall try to put pics up, remem a 4g64 is from a triton but so it rwd set up hence the shit off the front and it being a little longer. Oh and you may need to whack the sump with a block of wood as the sway bar is about 5mm to far back, its all clears but basically rests on the sump so i would recomond a small dent or mod

Oh and good new the box from a triton same as all early rwd boxes should should line up with the original cross member and fit the tunnel, assuming i measured my dads ute and my car up right!

I am planning to do a FAQ / Tech write up about how my conversion goes... Getting my 4g63t intercooler, oil cooler, loom and ecu this week hopefully, outta a import RVR with a 99 model motor.

Please note that all info above i.e. mount etc are for the 4g64 engine which is a 2.4 litre from a triton, the turbo is bolted to the block on a 4g63t which makes life a little harder. However i have not got my 63t yet so will see yet

post-4463-1193464874_thumb.jpg

post-4463-1193465043_thumb.jpg

looks fantastic mate! where are you located? if you are in sa ive got 2 4g63ts and I'm willing to part with one of em. ive decided with my setup I'm going to run single cam with custom manifolds and injection (ive got a wolf 3d in my bedroom), but all your work so far looks fantastic! as for the engine mounts for the 4g63t, which barina ones would you use? i was just gonna make my own ey

sure do, but as previously stated in the thread, an engineers certificate here in SA is worth squat unfortunately. hence the reason why i will go sohc; firstly cos i got a worked head with race cam and secondly, because it would be easier to put one over a cop and say its an "original spec" import or something along those lines. either way, if i get pulled over then I'm screwed but hey hat can you do right? haha

Yeh i was gonna try to get it engineered.

Uh i can't remember but it is a very flat one with slightly offset pins i am gonna use the mount brakets off the 4g64 i have and then use the rubber bits from a barina on inlet and volvo on exhaust, havnt looked at this too much yet but looks like it will work. I am in brisbane.

Yeh i was gonna try to get it engineered.

Uh i can't remember but it is a very flat one with slightly offset pins i am gonna use the mount brakets off the 4g64 i have and then use the rubber bits from a barina on inlet and volvo on exhaust, havnt looked at this too much yet but looks like it will work. I am in brisbane.

sweet! yeah i wanna try and get my head and starter motor fixed on the corolla and just drive her round for a little bit, and then get into the conversion by the new year. I'm collecting parts now, but once my motor is out then i can play round with custom mounts. with this 4G64 you have, you say its from a triton? you do know that you can pop that crank into the 4g63 block with machined vl turbo pistons and 4g63 rods to make a 2.3 stroker? the lads over at austarion have been able to make 350-400 rwhp pretty easily with not too much boost, might be something you want to look into :P

this 4G64 you have, you say its from a triton? you do know that you can pop that crank into the 4g63 block with machined vl turbo pistons and 4g63 rods to make a 2.3 stroker? the lads over at austarion have been able to make 350-400 rwhp pretty easily with not too much boost, might be something you want to look into :P

Ah no i just tossed my spare rb30 pistons too, i have an r31 as my daily until i build this rolla up. Ah no found out today that the 4g63t is too big qld laws are you times the car wight by 2.5 for boosted or 3 for n/a and that the engine u can use.

so

ke20 = 774 on qld register(i can't remmem exact) * 2.5 = 1945cc thats exact and a 4g63t is 1989cc or something.

so i'm going for a 4g93t now the 1.8..... do you know of any stroker stuff you can do with this using a 4g64 crank as i have one spare

damn that sucks man, sorry to hear :P well just a note on progress; ive found someone who will sell me a sigma 5 speed + clutch for a couple hundred and theres also a guy who is willing to part with his starion box for bout a hundred so if the staz box fits i'll get it and put her in the shed. I gotta go the qld with my mates during the summer so I'm bit tight on the funds atm, but the idea is corolla in the garage, engine out, suspension in, engine in and then tune! we'll see how it all goes

yeh i got my box today, out of a GJ sigma its the narrow type looks like a perfect fit which will be nice i got it and the tail shaft for 150, am gonna put a button type clutch in it but so thats not a prob, got a flywheel just gotta wait for my 1.8l motor now bolt it in line it up rip it out paint put back in reassemble car and interior then drop some fat boosted skids!!!!