Ke70/ae71 Wagon Suspension

ae71wagonater

Sbox, instead of telling me i'm wrong read the book that i've been speaking about (which i have in front of me) and see what I mean.

You don't have to drill holes and weld important suspension components just create new rear shackle links.

Towe001, it shouldn't effect anti-squat/dive characteristics unless the height is changed to create more weight transfer.

The watts linkage idea was just that, an idea. A panard bar is simpler but watts linkage works better but is more complicated i'm just giving ae71wagonater a few options.

A car with cart-sprung rear suspension and no lateral movement limiting devices moves around heaps, left to right. Especially with horse-power. Read the book.

Having a car too stiff in the rear may mean that you have less axle tramp but it may also cause undesired handling characteristics in other areas (over-steer/under-steer/rough ride ect). Also to my knowledge nobody makes a rear sway-bar that is a straight fit for the van/wagon (i could be wrong). However the sedan rear setup looks reasonably easy to fit to the leave spring rear end.

Members dont see this ad
Towe001, it shouldn't effect anti-squat/dive characteristics unless the height is changed to create more weight transfer.

It can also effect the roll-centre of the car as well. Cause whats being done is changing the angle of the leaves.

The watts linkage idea was just that, an idea. A panard bar is simpler but watts linkage works better but is more complicated i'm just giving ae71wagonater a few options.

A car with cart-sprung rear suspension and no lateral movement limiting devices moves around heaps, left to right. Especially with horse-power. Read the book.

Yeah true, but only if you go and make the hangers longer. Lifted 4wd's use panhard bars etc to locate the axles but thats from using extended leaf hangers.

Having a car too stiff in the rear may mean that you have less axle tramp but it may also cause undesired handling characteristics in other areas (over-steer/under-steer/rough ride ect).

Traction control bars - adding half a leaf, the good ol' tramp bars, etc

By the way - the hanger or shackle link is an important part of the suspension. Ask any competition or serious off-roader thats twisted, bent ,shattered a hanger

• 3 years later...