Converting From Auto To Manual ? (legal Issues)

Doogs

Friend had a supercharged V6 Calais and the copper was dumb enough to believe him when he said that the big pulley sitting at the front was the water pump.

You can get away with murder under the bonnet, but cops are smart-arsed bastards and nabb you for something that technically cannot get you defected...

But i doubt you will have to many hassles with the legalities of the conversion.

GoodLuck

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
Hi,

I have been looking at buying a Ke20, but it is auto and i would like a manual

one. I am thinking that if i bought it i would convert it to manual, but

do not know how legal this is.

I assume it needs to be checked/certified?

I have had a look on the vicroads site and can not see anything.

Does anyone know the legal process i would need to go through, and if

it can be legally done ? (or if i just need to do it by stealth and not tell them) :lolcry:

Help much apreciated,

Dougal

hi i have converted 3 corolla ke20s in vic, all were bought un reg then converted them from auto to maual . Had them re registered as manuals. there should be nothing to modify, it all bolts up off a donor car. the only bit of work is the hole for the shifter is smaller and a little more strengthened. . The shifter still fits with no cutting to the floor. just make up a plate and use a hole saw which suit the sized of the ball/boot at the bottom of the shifter where in joins the box. This eliminates noise also. then cover it with the existing carpet. And last last bit is the tail shaft. you may have to swap thew yolk over . had no prob;em with vic roads ever. if u need a hand let me know. should take around a day or so if your handy on the tools

good luck