Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brakes Do What Now?

Featured Replies

Hey peoples,

 

Not so much a Rolla question, as an old school Toyota question. Yesterday the brake warning light on my 1980 Hilux came on and hasn't turned off.

 

Now I've got a pretty big bullbar on the front which I can use for braking, but I'm not sure the cars in front would appreciate that. Anyone got an idea of what my car is trying to tell me?

 

Peace,

Ben

brake fluid pressure/level i'd assume...what else could be measured??

  • Author

Sweet, I've got some Fanta I'll chuck in there...

2 things - it either has a fluid level sensor and you are low and fanta or washing up liquid will be of adequate dodginess.

 

BUT, more likely it has a dual circuit master cylinder (seperate lines for front and rear brakes. In these units they usually have a bias switch that kicks in to tell you if you have different brake pressures between the 2 lines.

 

Why? Because you have a brake fluid leak somewhere, most likely a rear drum brake cylinder. Easy to check just rip off the rear wheels and pull the drums off and look for moistness. Fix.

  • Author

Pedal feels spongey. Might just stick my jumper out the window till I can get a chance to look at it. And by "I", I mean Leigh, Poz, and Stu.

I'd say its a leak. Do as philbey says and then bleed the brakes, fanta is better than brake fluid as it has fizzyness for quicker stopping :hmm:

  • Author

That's why I like BMWs and Toyotas. Because I rarely have to do anything to them. Looks like I'll have to sell her then...

have you checked to see if it has front pads in it?

 

Is it a 4wd, and do you wheel it?

 

Drums will wear slowly, and usally, they have been punished in mud, and if so, they will eat the pads. this goes for the front as well

If its 4wd, check the front wheel bearing, because if the shit emselves. the pads will shift and eat emselves

 

check all the lines, and look for the fluid..

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.