Pump Fuel Into Carby By Hand On Cold Startup

KE70+AE92

hey

my carby isnt the best lately

ive been having to on a cold startup pump the pump arm of my stock 4k carby to get fuel to the engine for it to start

could there be something wrong with my fuel pump or is it the carby?

thanks

Edited by KE70+AE92

Members dont see this ad

he just answered that question raven :lolcry:

just pump it once or twice in car, i usually do but i don't have a choke at all to cold operation is a paint in the arse..

there maybe another problem thats causing it being hard to start. do you keep good maintenance?

this to check would be fuel filter (just replace it if its more than 12months old they are like $6), check points gap and condition, plug gap and condition. it maybe wise to grab a bottle of fuel system cleaner it claims to help cold starting.

that thing that sprays a mist of fuel into the carby when its not running is the accelerator pump.

Edited by tas_ae71

all i do is pump it a couple time and it will start

i just replaced my fuel filter a couple weeks ago

and no its not in good maintenance it my paddock basher :lolcry:

it just annoying everytime u want to go for a drive and u have to do that

he just answered that question raven :)

Not quite, close though.

He said he had to pump the arm, not the throttle.

What I was asking is if he moves the throttle by hand, does the linkage move properly so that it pushes the linkage up which in turn makes the accelerator pump move down and then that squirts fuel into the the carby ;)

There should be a spring that sits over a linkage shaft to move that arm up when the throttle gets to a certain point (from memory).

Wish I had access to my coupe so I could take a pic and show you what I mean.

Edited by Raven

See where the accelerator pump arm connects to the accelerator pump shaft? It looks as if the arm is already pushing down, that's why its not moving. :) plus the rubber seal is split around the top too.

That small shaft has two positions where the pin on the accelerator pump arm slides through.

Very carefully unbolt the arm from the top of the carby and slide said pin out of the accelerator pump shaft (which is part of the arm), spin the shaft around and put it through the other two holes.

It should give it a new position and allow it to function correctly ;)

Edited by Raven