February 13, 200521 yr comment_31532 its not hard. pushrods out, lifters out, distributor out, fuel pump off, radiator out, belt off, crank pulley off, sump down, timing cover off, mark gears and chain with whiteout, tensioner off (don't drop the bits in the sump), cam plate off, cam out. reverse procedure to install, set tappets and ign timing. done Report
February 13, 200521 yr Author comment_31552 can some one please explain cam specs to me? I sort of understand but not copletley the spec sheet I have been looking at is http://www.tighecams.com.au/COROLLA3K.htm namely the 113, 424 and 140. sorry if its a stupid question... Report
February 13, 200521 yr comment_31555 it is easy, i've done it in a day, after i put my engine together for the first time and it wouldn't run, some TDCs quickly told me it was 20 degrees out. shit to learn how camshafts work, google is your friend, so is howstuffworks.com a good webpage i could was this http://www.roversd1.nl/sd1web/index.html click on tuning, then camshaft 1 alot of us think the best corolla cam is a 25/65 with lots of lift, the tighe 104 stage 3 grind is that Report
February 14, 200521 yr comment_31653 Jamie does them in car, I do them out of the car. For me it's easier to pull the engine out, and put it on a stand. Mainly because it takes me under an hour to pull the engine out and the same to put it back in, and the time I save not having to root around in the engine bay and buggering up my back, for me it's worth it. It depends on what your workshop/ garage is like, and how easily you can do things. I've got to the point where the only thing I'm missing is a hoist, and my Navigator has one at his house if I need it. If you have limited space and equipment, and it'd be easier for you to do it in car. Choose is yours.... :greenbounce: Report
February 16, 200521 yr comment_31927 do it in car you wussbags :insane: it's actually a pain in the ass, anything to do with re-sealing the sump again i would do out of the car and take it off and seal it properly Edited February 16, 200521 yr by Super Jamie Report
February 17, 200521 yr comment_32001 you can do it reasonably easily, although it is not the most fun of jobs. making sure everything is clean before you start, makes life easier. using a block and tackle (or like) to raise the engine to allow more sump clearance helps alot. remove the 4 studs under the timing cover and replace with bolts while you have it apart. makes life easier if you have to drop the sump again in the car. with bolts, you only need to lower the sump half as much for t/cover removal. much easier to prepare another engine on a stand, and swap in at a later date. Report
February 17, 200521 yr Author comment_32009 maybe I might leave the cam untill I I get an engine stad and decided to rebuild the bottom end... cos even the good book makes it sound hard... Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now