Suspension Problem

DoAwEe

Hi Guys,

just wanted to get your input on a problem that i have. I have a 91 GTi corrolla, with 17" vault rims and recently i had to change the 2 front tyres. Ever since the new tyres were fitted, i noticed that everytime i go over a speed hump or pot hot, even small ones, the tyres actually scrap against the inside of the guards which is annoying. It happened even before i got the new tyres but more frequent with these new tyres.

I bought the car last year second hand and I'm pretty certain that it has been lowered, don't know if it was properly lowered or the springs were cut. Therefore i just wanted to get your opinion on the possible causes and solutions.

I think its got to do something with the shocks or springs, I'm pretty much a newb to all this, i called pedders and they quoted me $1400!!!! for the replacement of the 4 shocks.....

any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Members dont see this ad
Hi Guys,

just wanted to get your input on a problem that i have. I have a 91 GTi corrolla, with 17" vault rims and recently i had to change the 2 front tyres. Ever since the new tyres were fitted, i noticed that everytime i go over a speed hump or pot hot, even small ones, the tyres actually scrap against the inside of the guards which is annoying. It happened even before i got the new tyres but more frequent with these new tyres.

I bought the car last year second hand and I'm pretty certain that it has been lowered, don't know if it was properly lowered or the springs were cut. Therefore i just wanted to get your opinion on the possible causes and solutions.

I think its got to do something with the shocks or springs, I'm pretty much a newb to all this, i called pedders and they quoted me $1400!!!! for the replacement of the 4 shocks.....

any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

The offset of the wheels could be wrong and i put 17 inch wheels on my car which were fine till i lowered it now it rubs.

i just went to a smaller wheel. i went to a 15 inch wheel and no more rubbing but 16 inch should be fine as.

$1400 is a bit rich for pedders rubbish, you'll have a set of koni's and brand new kings for under retail price, then prob 2 -4 hours labour depending how much of a scammer they are. Are the new tyres wider than the last ones?

its the same size tyre, 205, 40, 17.

and your right 1400, is way too rich for me, hopefully i don't have to resort to forking out that kind of money, therefore I'm up for any suggestions you guys might have.

Can you do the work yourself? You'll probably need spring compressors, 19mm socket, 17mm socket, and maybe a rattle gun if the shock nut doesn't want to come undone. 1 trick is to crack them before you put the car on stands.

Monroes, pedders and KYB's are around $200 a pair. King springs around $150 a pair. KYB exel G's are probably the best shock for the money, a little firmer than the monroe. Sorry I haven't had anything to do with pedders shocks, can't really tell you if the rates are good in your model.

Sounds like the side wall must be thicker on your new tyres. You'll have to have your guards rolled to run with em.

Can you do the work yourself? You'll probably need spring compressors, 19mm socket, 17mm socket, and maybe a rattle gun if the shock nut doesn't want to come undone. 1 trick is to crack them before you put the car on stands.

Monroes, pedders and KYB's are around $200 a pair. King springs around $150 a pair. KYB exel G's are probably the best shock for the money, a little firmer than the monroe. Sorry I haven't had anything to do with pedders shocks, can't really tell you if the rates are good in your model.

Sounds like the side wall must be thicker on your new tyres. You'll have to have your guards rolled to run with em.

i would love to it it myself, however wouldn't know where to start unless there was specific tutorial that shows. Apologies for sounding like an idiot but can you explain to me what all this means?

"You'll probably need spring compressors, 19mm socket, 17mm socket, and maybe a rattle gun if the shock nut doesn't want to come undone. 1 trick is to crack them before you put the car on stands."

so are you sayin i just need new springs?

Nah, spring compressors take the tension off the spring so that you can pull the strut apart without loosing body parts :( I've done it with a rattle gun once without them, and it is a little scary :(

There is no FAQ for such a thing, its a pretty straight forward job though. There's only 6 bolts a corner tops that need to come apart, you could get a haynes manual to help you out, def worth it if you wanna learn about your car.

Just have a good look at all the bolts, there are 2 that hold the strut to the ball joint, 3 at the strut tower and 1 in the middle of the shock you need to worry about, with the wheels off, and up on stands you should be able to work it out if you're a little mechanically minded.

Where abouts are you? I might be able to point you towards a workshop that don't scam people.

i would love to it it myself, however wouldn't know where to start unless there was specific tutorial that shows. Apologies for sounding like an idiot but can you explain to me what all this means?

"You'll probably need spring compressors, 19mm socket, 17mm socket, and maybe a rattle gun if the shock nut doesn't want to come undone. 1 trick is to crack them before you put the car on stands."

so are you sayin i just need new springs?

Nah, spring compressors take the tension off the spring so that you can pull the strut apart without loosing body parts :( I've done it with a rattle gun once without them, and it is a little scary :(

There is no FAQ for such a thing, its a pretty straight forward job though. There's only 6 bolts a corner tops that need to come apart, you could get a haynes manual to help you out, def worth it if you wanna learn about your car.

Just have a good look at all the bolts, there are 2 that hold the strut to the ball joint, 3 at the strut tower and 1 in the middle of the shock you need to worry about, with the wheels off, and up on stands you should be able to work it out if you're a little mechanically minded.

Where abouts are you? I might be able to point you towards a workshop that don't scam people.

fairfield, sydney.......

so what do you think the most viable solution for me would be?

I'd say that it's your wheels and tyres that are your problem. If the new tyres are of a different make, they will be constucted differently to your old ones. They wont be exactly the same dimensions although they are 205/40/17's. If your clearance is measured only in mm's, then the difference between old and new would be enough to make it scrape more.

Consider this, if you change shocks and springs, your geometry will be exactly the same. your struts will be in the same place, therefore your wheels will be in the same place, therefore your wheels will still rub.

You may have to consider losing the bling, and buying either better offset rims (if available), or downsizing.

I'd say that it's your wheels and tyres that are your problem. If the new tyres are of a different make, they will be constucted differently to your old ones. They wont be exactly the same dimensions although they are 205/40/17's. If your clearance is measured only in mm's, then the difference between old and new would be enough to make it scrape more.

Consider this, if you change shocks and springs, your geometry will be exactly the same. your struts will be in the same place, therefore your wheels will be in the same place, therefore your wheels will still rub.

You may have to consider losing the bling, and buying either better offset rims (if available), or downsizing.

what about getting the guards rolled? so i have heard? do you know ruffly how much this would cost and if it would help? i think it would make the car look better, however don't know if it has any other issues that comes along with it.

Rolling the guards is to get rid of the inner lip that stregthens the guard. It doesn't necessarily give you more space.( It will give you the width of the lip more space) There are people that do guard rolling, I don't know the price. Don't do it yourself if you value your paint.

If you want something done properly, it WILL cost money.

And lets go a bit sideways.

Does your insurance company know it's lowered? Does your insurance company know it has 17"s?

Rolling the guards is to get rid of the inner lip that stregthens the guard. It doesn't necessarily give you more space.( It will give you the width of the lip more space) There are people that do guard rolling, I don't know the price. Don't do it yourself if you value your paint.

If you want something done properly, it WILL cost money.

And lets go a bit sideways.

Does your insurance company know it's lowered? Does your insurance company know it has 17"s?

yea fair enough, if rolling the gaurds is not going to fix the problem then there is no point doing it........ ..... my insurance company are fully aware of the condition of my car, lowered, 17" etc.

what to do ... what to do...... i guess at this stage i'll just take it to acouple of mechanics and see what they have to say....

thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated!

what about spring spacers or are they not legal in aussie?

$30-50 a set, crack the strut bolts, jack the car up to take the tension off, slip them in, lower the car back down and tighten the bolt back on...

should give you just enough extra clearance to get rid of the rubbing

Edited by Jarsky

I think spacers are illegal in Aus.

Try getting new rims and tryes, get a mates car that has the same stud pattern as your car but a bit smaller rims, and see what they do to your car. See if they have any scrub issues..

Also, lift the car up and have a look what it may be scrubbing on, and how badly it is eating through your tyres..

I had a 1007 XR6 Ute on my hoist at work, had 20" bling wheels, lowered, looked hell nice, though the inside of the tyre is worn down to the metal belt of the tyre..