What To Use For A Lift/pre Pump

HRV-00S

I'm having some fuel troubles with my car and it would seem that my main pump is draining the surge tank faster then the lift pump can fill it as I found out after some "spirited" driving.

Whats happening is the main pump hums along in the back and all is well until you give it some stick, after which the the main pump starts to make a gargling sort of noise like it's not getting enough fuel. Then it all comes to a spluttering stand still. After an hour or so it will fix its self enough to get it home (small town where anywhere is close to everywhere)

Anyway I was thinking about one of these carter electric fuel pumps 72g/h (273L/h) at 7psi suitable for 450hp. Motor's a 4agte making 180rwkw (240rwhp)

Wondering what other options there are as most other low pressure pumps I've come across are the cheap($50) solid state units.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Members dont see this ad
I'm having some fuel troubles with my car and it would seem that my main pump is draining the surge tank faster then the lift pump can fill it as I found out after some "spirited" driving.

Whats happening is the main pump hums along in the back and all is well until you give it some stick, after which the the main pump starts to make a gargling sort of noise like it's not getting enough fuel. Then it all comes to a spluttering stand still. After an hour or so it will fix its self enough to get it home (small town where anywhere is close to everywhere)

Anyway I was thinking about one of these carter electric fuel pumps 72g/h (273L/h) at 7psi suitable for 450hp. Motor's a 4agte making 180rwkw (240rwhp)

Wondering what other options there are as most other low pressure pumps I've come across are the cheap($50) solid state units.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

have you read throught the faq?

there is an article about installing intank pumps.

i've got a vn intank pump it flows enought for a 3.8l so it should keep up with a little 1.6l no matter how hot it is!

What breed of lift pump are you using mate? Internal or external?

The cheapest huge flow intank option is probably an efi walbro. You don't need to use a low pressure pump for the lifter, I've used an efi one in the past without any worries.

BTW, If you fit a switch to the pump feeding the rail, you can turn it off and the surge will be filled to the brim in no time at all by the lifter.

Yes mate I've read through that article but I don't no if the wagons tank is the same, I've been sort of half looking for a spare tank and/or pick-up to do just that conversion. But for now an inline pump seems to be the better (easier) option.

Cheers Dan

What breed of lift pump are you using mate? Internal or external?

The cheapest huge flow intank option is probably an efi walbro. You don't need to use a low pressure pump for the lifter, I've used an efi one in the past without any worries.

BTW, If you fit a switch to the pump feeding the rail, you can turn it off and the surge will be filled to the brim in no time at all by the lifter.

It's an external pump mate, and the switch sounds like a good idea.