Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ae92 Cs Brake Upgrade

Featured Replies

G'day guys,

 

This is my first post and there will be plenty more as I work on my car.

 

What I'm after:

I want to upgrade my brake setup - I currently have the stock solids @ in the front and drums @ the rear.

I want to find a want to find a way to get some vented & slotted rotors on (4 wheel discs) on the thing.

 

I have already read several guides etc. on this subject both on twincam.org and rollaclub.com and haven't found a great deal of information on it (other that the swap overs you can actually do)

 

If anyone could give me a comprehensive solution on what i could do i'd greatly appreciate it.

 

Cheers Guys,

 

Dean.

the question i pose to you is why do you want to upgrade the brakes?

 

is it because you are going to do an engine conversion later on down the track?

 

also the guides on both twincam, rollaclub and toymods are pretty comprehensive and go into quite some detail bout your options when upgrading the ae9x brakes.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142

 

Read - stage 1, collect underpants - (find an sx at a wreckers, get front callipers, and discs (or supply your own). get rear hubs, callipers, rear trailing arm, and handbrake cable. and brake mater cylinder (this is a must))

 

stage 2,...

 

stage 3, profit - (Great Braking)

 

Not too difficult to do - took me a day, and well worth the results.

Edited by Bowler

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142

 

Read - stage 1, collect underpants - (find an sx at a wreckers, get front callipers, and discs (or supply your own). get rear hubs, callipers, rear trailing arm, and handbrake cable. and brake mater cylinder (this is a must))

 

stage 2,...

 

stage 3, profit - (Great Braking)

 

Not too difficult to do - took me a day, and well worth the results.

 

when i converted the brakes on my CS hatch i used the original brake master that was in my hatch |blink|, 2 years on and it still braking just as good as the day i finished

when i converted the brakes on my CS hatch i used the original brake master that was in my hatch |blink|, 2 years on and it still braking just as good as the day i finished

 

Did you convert the brakes on the rear too? was there too much front bias? personally, I'm inclined to believe that the bias is different between disc and drum cars - the SX mater cylinder I'm currently using works a treat when you're really on them - still suffers from that inherent front bias too (supposedly fixed with the ae101 brake conversion) but if I were to convert again, I'd still go the same way.

If you were in Sydney I've got everything you need sitting here |blink|

Did you convert the brakes on the rear too? was there too much front bias? personally, I'm inclined to believe that the bias is different between disc and drum cars - the SX mater cylinder I'm currently using works a treat when you're really on them - still suffers from that inherent front bias too (supposedly fixed with the ae101 brake conversion) but if I were to convert again, I'd still go the same way.

 

yes i did the full convert, hence i know its not really worth the effort unless you are planning on doing an engine conversion as well. My CS hatch is using the full series@ to brake setup, Front: 258mm rotors and calipers, Rear: 242mm rotors and calipers.

 

and yes i do agree the they corollas even the SX suffers from slightly to much front bias, and the way toyota fixed it was with the lager rear discs on the ae101 upwards.

 

if you look up the brake master cyclinders on PBR they all have the same part number |blink|

 

i've only ever locked up the brakes once on the CS after i did the brakes and that was on a damp road just before i got my SX last year.

Edited by MYSTIK

...

Edited by Bowler

Not having a go or anything, because admittedly, I'm not a brake specialist, and never taken either of the mater cylinders apart. But it is possible the the part numbers correspond to the casting of the part, and don't relate to the internal set-up in anyway. I believe the disk/drum and disk/disk run the same master cylinder bore. Also, having driven the car with the base set-up and the S2 disk set-up, I'm very thankful to have the better brakes - I've used them on numerous occasions, and although I still struggle around in a straight with the carby anchor up front, its still the reassuring fact that if I go into a corner, on a twisty road well under the posted speed limit, that the car will pull up straight and true every time. But each to their own -it's up to the individual if they want to do it or not.

i've driven my CS, disc/drum now with S2 brake setup, and my S2 seca, and they are very similar in braking power, the only diff between both disc setups is the slotted rotors on my seca and the original master cylinder on the cs hatch.

 

and for verification from pbr website

 

pbrsite.jpg

Edited by MYSTIK

Hmmm |blink| I was sure that they had different part numbers last time I looked up the pbr book...

  • 2 weeks later...

Small point of Note (From PBR book at work) - Finally got around to it

 

listings are as follows

 

6/89 on All body types, Disc/Disc, Disc/Drum 22.22mm dia P10320 Brake M/cyl

K8300 Kit - B M/cyl

6/91 on Hatch Back, Disc/Disc, GTi Model, SX Model 23.81mm dia B227-008 Brake M/cyl

K8471 Kit - B M/cyl

 

the latter part numbers are discontinued, which is why they no longer appear on the PBR website - when I did my upgrade, I originally tried to order the new master cylinder, but was told that they were no longer available - so I tried to get one from an S2 Car but to no Avail. not sure on the bias setup, but I figure the only reason why they'd use a larger bore, is to ease brake effort...

my 2c

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.