Rant/ke30 And Exhaust Swap

irokin

Ok guys...take it from me

don't do an exhaust swap without a car lift or pit.

Its friggen hard to get the bitch in there...esp when the pipe is solid from after the manifold to the tip.

We ended up cutting the pipe and dad made up a pretty nice bracket to hold it together till we can get our hands on a TIG/MIG welder to put the bitch back together.

Zorst came off my recently aquired KE30.

Each time I work on the 30 I find more and more rust...at the moment it looks as if the car is going to be pawned of all its goodness and then sent off to the wonderful world of the wreckers/car crusher.

Its sad I know...but it lived its life on the gold coast so the kind of rust in this thing is well above average.

anyway

The KE20 now has a twin pipe manafold and near new exhaust system which sounds great and I think has added to the cars power output...it needs to be retuned as it SEEMS to be running rich judging by the backfires when I'm decelerating...mind you we didnt go for a very long drive. We'll see tomorrow.

KE20 will most likely be reciving KE30 discs and calipers...depending on their condition... The discs will probably need machining...which I have no money for right at the moment :dry:

Looking for carby upgrades. Got Twin SUs on the way that I will either rebuild and sell as carbys only...or I might be bothered to find a manifold and run them on the 3K

Speaking of the 3K I'm thinking of getting the head shaved another 35thou (its shaved 5 thou at the moment) and upping the compression ratio to something reasonable...

Anyone got any idea what CR this will produce!?

Also thinking of getting a cam regrind...because I feel like it... probably in the new year thought!!

And thats good enough for a 2:00am rant for me

Members dont see this ad

Sure will....the front tyres alone are worth more than $50...almost 100% tread.

Just went for a tune drive. If you guys aint gonna get extractors made up....GET A TWIN PIPE MANIFOLD!! they rock.

Heaps more low end tourque (and the exhaust pipe is leaking half way where we had to cut it). RPM drop off is quicker and top end is pretty darn nice!

I cracked around the flange of my exhaust manifold from too many racing downhifts coming off the highway too and from work a while back, he he he, went in to get the rear muffler replaced cause all the baffel inside had broken off as well and he saw it was cracked so he ran a weld around it for me. I noticed an instant change in power when he fixed that.

Taking .035" off the head (total .040") will make it better, and in future you can still take more off. My old head (the one I prepared earlier :) ) had around .090" taken off it. the most I've heard of is .125", but that was a bit berserk.

If anyone wants a twin pipe manifold, I have one loitering downstairs. Stand by for a fire sale. New project coming.

Cheers

R

TIME TO START SAVING!!

Have you still got that old head?! or has it got a great bloody crack thru it.

I noticed driving around tonight the car is far more willing to rev right out to 6,000rpm than it used to.

Have to find some spare money to get this pipe welded up and get the 2.5" muffler put on

Yes I still have that head. It's completely bare, no valves, springs, guides; anything. Ive got it as a spare, although it'd be no good for the current engine as the pistons would hit the head. Really reluctant to part with it though. :sad: