4afe Repair Specs

yakkmeister

Hi All!

I am a 4th year apprentice so I don't need the baby steps but ...

I have a 1991 AE92 to fix for a mate on the weekend and I thought I'd pick your collective brains as to some repair items for which I have no reference.

I searched and could not find the answer on here either.

Ok - I am doing a timing belt and water pump, thus I will be replacing the cam and crank seals.

I would like to hear any tips or tricks you people have experienced with this job.

The biggie!

What kind of adjustment is available on the valves on this motor?

What are the clearances?

Cheers all!

Members dont see this ad

if your up for it change all theother seals too, what I have seen leak is the seals behind the oil pump and also the seals that are to go around the studs that hold down the cam cover.

To adjust the valve clearence you change the shim thickness. You do this by either buying another one new or second hand and installing it of if its tight then just getting the bottom side of the shim surface ground

Cam seal - remove the two bolts on the end cap and using a phillips screwdriver down the holes where the bolts used to be, wriggle the cap loose and pull it off... Replace the seal remembering to lubricate the inner ring with clean engine oil before sliding it over the cam...

When refitting the cap, make sure to use oil sealant goo on the outside of the marks on the cap otherwise it'll leak... Don't use too much or it will block the little oil grooves... Just a smear will be sufficient to make the seal... Refit the bolts and torque to the appropriate measurement...

With the crank seal, remove the smaller timing gear, being careful not to damage the oil pump housing or the timing gear itself...

Use a seal remover and pry the old seal out... Once again, lubricate the inner ring of the seal with clean engine oil and slide it over the crank and into place... Will be a tight fit so using the flat face end of a 3/8 extension, help the seal into place with little taps being careful not to damage the seal or anything else...

Once you're done, refit the timing gear and put it all back together...

I'm presuming you know what you're doing with the timing belt and water pump replacement??? If not, just ask :P ...

Edited by Rolla Boy

Cam seal - remove the two bolts on the end cap and using a phillips screwdriver down the holes where the bolts used to be, wriggle the cap loose and pull it off... Replace the seal remembering to lubricate the inner ring with clean engine oil before sliding it over the cam...

When refitting the cap, make sure to use oil sealant goo on the outside of the marks on the cap otherwise it'll leak... Don't use too much or it will block the little oil grooves... Just a smear will be sufficient to make the seal... Refit the bolts and torque to the appropriate measurement...

With the crank seal, remove the smaller timing gear, being careful not to damage the oil pump housing or the timing gear itself...

Use a seal remover and pry the old seal out... Once again, lubricate the inner ring of the seal with clean engine oil and slide it over the crank and into place... Will be a tight fit so using the flat face end of a 3/8 extension, help the seal into place with little taps being careful not to damage the seal or anything else...

Once you're done, refit the timing gear and put it all back together...

I'm presuming you know what you're doing with the timing belt and water pump replacement??? If not, just ask :P ...

Yeah, all this is pretty much run-of-the-mill stuff. Good to know there isn't really too much to worry about with this job :)

I have done a lot of timing stuff on Opel cars (via a Holden Dealership) and a bunch of diesel motors at Nissan...

Thanks to all who replied :P

Sucks they chose shims over the adjustable type ... just cos I can't do anything about it at home ... oh well!

Oh - I realise now that I didn't get gasket goo!!

I did get permatex/locktite #4 though!