1981 Ke55 Coupe Xx

Snab

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a 1981 KE55 coupe with a 5 speed in it, but I'm a bit worried about the engine and box. As far as I can tell its the original 4k, and its got 350,000 on the clock. The engine seems to run pretty well, but with a motor that old am I about to get myself into a whole world of pain? How much longer can I expect to get out of the lil 1300 before something is likely to blow?

Is there anything else I need to keep my eye out on a rolla like this?

Cheers,

Members dont see this ad

As a member on this site has in their sig, "If Toyota made the Corolla with Mitsubishi quality, this site wouldn't exist."

The K engine is seen as almost indestructible. They can take a flogging and keep going. Tho later an upgrade to a 5k is a good, cheap power boost where the engine slots right in using the same engine mounts and gearbox.

Short of a complete engine rebuild, basically any job can be done in half a day. Engine swap, gearbox are all easy to change, and cheap. Even motors aren't prohibitively expensive. I've seen a clutch changed in under 20 minutes, and I've done a head gasket in 45. Easy simple cars.

Yea there arent many cars I'd trust more than an old rolla, except for maybe an hj47 troopy :). Nah I'm pretty keen to pick this ol girl up but just wondering if the motors over the hill yet. If its anything like the diesels from the ol landcruisers, she'll be up for another 300k no worries!

You're probably right I reckon, it wasnt blowing any smoke and seemed to have plenty of go for a 1300 - except the choke didnt work. I had a quick look and I think its just a broken cable but if not, carby kits are pretty cheap these days arent they?

I'm probably pickin her up this weekend

Ahh thats good to hear for me. I'm not much of a modder - I've got my bike for goin quick. I just think these old rollas are little gems!

I (believe) I saw this add in the All Classies a week or so ago aswell. It was for $1300-$1400 right?

I was going to have a look at the car but really decided against it as I wouldn't have the cash and

time to do another project as I have BARELY even started on my wagon.

I'm also in Canberra so I'd love to see this car if you're planning on buying it. There aren't as many

of the older Rolla's in Canberra compared to other large cities. It's an exciting sight to see a coupe

or older model. I've only ever seen one KE20 on the road here.

Good luck if you buy it. Let me know if you don't and I might give him a crack at $1000 :)

Vincent

ps. Have you ever heard of a Corolla die? I thought not :P

Edited by seabiscuit

You say that now but after a while you'll want more power, we all do. You'll notice when you have to drive with people in the car. Its quite sluggish. Then you'll most likely at one stage end up driving a mates 5K Corolla. You'll switch (insert evil laugh here) :)