Ke55 Steering Noises

Jimpoole

Hi guys.

When I corner in my 79' KE55 coupe, I can sometimes hear a clunking noise. Usually when I take a left-hand corner.

Also, sometimes squeeks when taking a right.

Do I need to tighten or modify anything?

That's about it

Thanks guys

Members dont see this ad

I've always found when I've had the clunking noise its turnout being a pitman arm or tie rod or something. Might wanna check that out.

I find my car makes a continuous squeak when I turn corners. Maybe the box. Still works fine tho. Maybe take it to a steering and suspension place to be inspected??

I've always found when I've had the clunking noise its turnout being a pitman arm or tie rod or something. Might wanna check that out.

I find my car makes a continuous squeak when I turn corners. Maybe the box. Still works fine tho. Maybe take it to a steering and suspension place to be inspected??

Looks like i'll have to do some research.

I would take it to a steering place if I could afford it!

Thanks for your help!

Jack the car up place it on chassis stands, crawl under the car and get someone to fiddle with the steering wheel while your watching the joints etc. Be a bit harder might even have better results is to do the same thing get someone to fiddle the steering wheel while your poking around the front wheels looking and feeling the joints etc..

JiP's continuous squeaking could very well be a lack of lubrication

Jack the car up place it on chassis stands, crawl under the car and get someone to fiddle with the steering wheel while your watching the joints etc. Be a bit harder might even have better results is to do the same thing get someone to fiddle the steering wheel while your poking around the front wheels looking and feeling the joints etc..

JiP's continuous squeaking could very well be a lack of lubrication

Ok will do. The noises are only really under heavy load. They don't really annoy me, I just want to know nothing's going to snap on me.

I've noticed I have a continuous squeeking as well. That's annoying, and is probably going to wear something out.

Do I need to lubricate the front wheel bearings while I'm at it?

But have a look see first off. You should be able to figure out what you think is ok and what's a little "odd" - a typical joint operates in fairly the same fashion no matter where its located.

Try with giving the joints a bit of fresh grease. If you can

A continuous squeaking would be more like a suspension part thats ran dry with lube or the springs have worn out the rubber pads and are now sliding against their seats.

A noise more akin to grinding would be closer to dry running wheel bearings or their running with a build up of grit. Which is not good either way.

But all in all while your re-packing the joints may as well do the wheel bearings at the same time. But you'd only really be able to re-pack the joints if they have grease nipples.

Ok, so today I attempted to tighten the wheel nuts because the wheels are loose as.

Has anyone done this? How tight does the nut have to be? It seems if I just tighten until it contacts, then turning it about 1/64th either way has an effect on the bearings and they will bind.

Any suggestions?