Importing A Car From Nz

I was asked this question by a member here and thought id post this for everyone just in case u are interested

one of the main things is that u need to have owned the car for at least 12 months and have proof of that. I bought mine from a guy and he just wrote , signed and dated a piece of paper. Thats good enough, contact details of the seller helps too.

don't know exactly the cost of shipping tho cause the company that employed me here in aus paid for that, maybe 2 - 3 grand to NSW. .You'll need an import approval that is issued by ur local government body (here in nsw its the rta). mine cost $50 AUD

then depending on the value there is customs and tax duty, i think mine will be $1000 AUD the car was valued at $1000 NZD

and then there maybe a cleaning cost if customs feels like it

it will be difficult to do unless u go to nz first, buy a car and sort storage out for a year.

My car was never registered under my name but that wasn't a problem, the rego expired 2 owners before me and was never renewed. I still have the plates. If its dereged, it could be an issue.

There is a way around this tho (which i looked into) and import it as 'parts'

In NSW, to be considered as a parts car the car can be complete but must not have an engine or drive train, no diff, no front struts (obviously no wheels). Or it can have them but they can't be shipped in the same container

this way u don't have to pay so much in customs fees and no worries for an import approval. Just the logistics of getting it there and loaded.

Hope this helps!

Members dont see this ad