Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cruise Control

Featured Replies

Hi Guys,

 

This is my first post here, and hopefully I haven't duplicated an earlier post. I have checked and came up with nothing.

 

I am in Bunbury in Western Australia, and I have a 2001 AE112R Corolla Conquest liftback. It's all factory except volts gauge, clock and Pioneer head unit. And it's a manual.

 

I am interested in adding cruise control, especially after getting busted speeding for the first time ever (after 14 years of driving) last year. Was wondering if it's worth calling Toyota to see if there's a genuine cruise kit available or just go and grab one of the Command or VDO brand cruise control systems. Has anyone here had experience with them? DIY fit or send it to the mechanic or auto electrician? I have installed the stereo and other electrical accessories in this car myself, and have done a fair bit of electrical work on rear wheel drive Volvo's and other Corolla's, including full loom replacement on one car.

 

Advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

 

Paul

I've had good luck with the command systems before... and installation is generally pretty easy.

The electrical side of things is quite simple, just running a few wires and splicing into the loom in a couple of places. The instruction manual is quite easy to understand.

The only *relatively* complicated bits are adding the extra linkage onto your existing throttle wheel, mounting the vacuum actuator, and the little speed sensor which attaches to your strut tube and the magnet on the inside of the wheel rim.

Once again thought the instructions are pretty good.

 

Good luck :hammer:

  • 2 months later...

Hi Paul,

 

How did you go with your cruise control selection? It is definetly something I want to add due to the amount of Freeway driving I do.

I've had an Command AP60 fitted to my ae92 for 5 years, and its the best investment i've ever made on the car. I've had a couple of teething issues, with respect to some parts wearing out (due to the 150,000 odd kms I've covered with it fitted), where the cable actuator has clogged up, and the inline speed sensor fitted onto the speedo cable failed (apparently rare). I didn't fit the unit, got a instruments/auto electrician to fit it, however I'm willing to have a crack to fit it by myself, with the new car...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.