4ac/4age?

Nat-ae71

Hey guys, gotta say i love the site! Very good info!

Anyways, down to business. I have recently purchased an ae71 5spd with the intention of using it as a hill climb/supersprint/drift vehicle whilst keeping it regoed. I have heard talk of people using weber carbs on the 4age motor and was wondering on the legalities of this? My understanding was that if u installed a motor into a car that wasnt standard all the standard emissions garbage would have to be retained?

So, assuming that this isnt possible/legal i was wondering what is the possibility of putting the 4age head onto the 4ac block? Obviously i would treat the motor to a rebuild first, but is it possible? And will the 4ac bottom end be able to cope with the kind of rpm that a 4age can? Also what sort of rpm are webers able to function at?

Sorry for all the q's guys, just trying to get my head around it. Thanks in advance! :)

Members dont see this ad

it's illegal, unless you can pass an EPA test proving that your car with the new setup meets the emissions levels of the ADRs applicable to the 4age engine year. i don't know how possible this would be, but i don't like your chances

you also can't put a older engine into a car, so you'll have to get a 4a-c that's the same year or newer than your ae71

if you're talking about sidedraft webers, you'll have a hard time maxing them out with a little 4A, even if you revved it to 9. i'd say you have nothing to worry about

Thanks guys!

Ok, so the 4ac is a weaker block than the 4age. my eventual intention was to swap the 4age over to quad throttles if i went efi, and i thought i might possibly be able to get the same effect from carbs without shelling out massive amounts of money programmable efi, surge tanks, etc. Then i thought about the law..... and it was all a downward spiral from there on........

Edited by Nat-ae71

Just one more question while we're all here...

If i use a 20 valve motor and the standard ecu does it matter if i use the auto or the manual transmission computer? I've heard some other Toyota auto computers go into limp mode if their is no auto signal. Just the auto half cut is $200 cheaper....