I Has A Flat Spot

So it only seems to happen when I'm in heavy traffic and trying to keep up to speed with everyone and when I change to second

But basically I change to second, put my foot down, nothing happens it makes a low whirring noise, apparently a bit of smoke comes out my exhaust and then it suddenly kicks in and i lurch forward, then continue on as normal.

I've been told its a flat spot, but we put a carby kit through it when we first got it and had problems with it so why would it be broken again and what ca I do about it?

Thank yous,

Lexxi :hmm:

Members dont see this ad

Sounds to me to be an ignition issue which is similar to what I had in my old KE70.

Have you checked or replaced the points lately? How dirty are the contacts on your rotor button or distributor cap?

How long since you changed the leads?

I fixed mine by cleaning all of the build up off the rotor button and contact points in the distributor cap, cleaned the points and re-adjusted the gapping.

It is only a 20 minute job with the right tools.

There's a few tips for you.

is it jumpy under acceleration?

if so i don't know what all the technical names are but this is how i would describe what could be going on

i had a similar problem. your butterfly valve is sticky due to the bushes on the pivots ends been worn. these are not always suplied in tune up kits. what happens is when it closes (foot off accelerator) the valve is held shut/ jams due to the worn bushes letting it over rotate away from the open possition, (flooding effect). then when it finally opens the right way a shit load of air jumps down its throat and it launches off the line. the whirring noise is due to the vibrating in the valve, not knowing which way to spin.

this was my problem in a 4brl.

not sure if this helps and anyone else is welcome to add on, or tear my theory to $#!T.

Hmm... I don't think its jumpy normally, not that I've consciously noticed [although a lot of things that happen I just assume are either normal in an old car or the result of me driving badly and dismiss them instantly.]

From what I've noticed its just what I said in my first post, but thanks for the help. :hmm:

is it jumpy under acceleration?

if so i don't know what all the technical names are but this is how i would describe what could be going on

i had a similar problem. your butterfly valve is sticky due to the bushes on the pivots ends been worn. these are not always suplied in tune up kits. what happens is when it closes (foot off accelerator) the valve is held shut/ jams due to the worn bushes letting it over rotate away from the open possition, (flooding effect). then when it finally opens the right way a shit load of air jumps down its throat and it launches off the line. the whirring noise is due to the vibrating in the valve, not knowing which way to spin.

this was my problem in a 4brl.

not sure if this helps and anyone else is welcome to add on, or tear my theory to $#!T.

hhmm...

I'm having this problem, or something similar to it...

when its cold if you try and drive it will pop back threw the carb, and will contine to do it if you contine to attempt to drive.. after about 3-4mins its drivable, but is alyways jerky under light throttle and kinda cursing sort if throttle. could very well be two different problems

carb is 32/36 weber and motor is 4ac

replaced a heap of shit a while back, and converted to electronic dizzy, had a huge spark (would arc a strong blue colour prob 4mm or more, with the old points it would struggle to do maybe 1.5-2mm and was a dull orange). but will check it all as i havent since i put the last motor in prob 12months ago lol