Dyno Tuning For Blow Thru Turbo

bezender

hi guys,

i almost have the rolla up to scratch with the 32/36 weber on it. (check the link in my sig if u are curious about the build etc)

I'm thinking of getting it dyno tuned and properly jetted etc. I live in the brighton area, and am thinking of going to auto carby services to have it done.

it seems to be a black art getting them tuned properly. are there any other work shops down this way that are worth looking at ?

also is there anyone out there that would be willing to swap + relevant cash adjustment either way with my T28 turbo to a smaller on, eg. a T25?

cheers in advance

.:edited for extra detail:.

Edited by bezender

Members dont see this ad

Hey buddy, just been having a read of your SAU thread and thought I might make a few points for you.

1, I saw your "want to swap" in the first post here and was keen to swap your T28 for my T25G, but after seeing that its one of those chinese T25/28 hybrids I'm not really keen now. Haven't had any personal experience with them, but they deffinately don't have the best reputation! :y:

On the same topic this statement concerns me....

need to play with plug gaps and timing to get her running... it will go without the turbo plumbed in (although not very well atm) and stalls with it all together.

With the turbo plumbed up you shouldn't be getting any resistance like that! I hate to say it but the problem may be an already un-healthy turbo! :hmm: Plug gap and timing won't really make much difference to how it runs at idle plumbed up or not!!

2, have you actually locked the dizzy?

3, You sure you've got the fuel system sorted!? :hmm: You said something about needing a pump with 8-10psi. So are you really going to be happy with 6-8psi of BOOST?

4, Your FMIC concern - Ok your carby backfires, it happens. But how in hell is fuel supposed to travel back towards the turbo when the induction pipe is under vacuum!? :hmm:

Seriuosly mate, I would not worry about this and fit a FMIC when ever you want.

..... and this leads into my next suggestion.....

5, The guy who wrote this about the above....

Doesn't happen on blowthrough setups, 10yrs ago i had the same setup on a ke10

before going efi, the biggest problem you have with the stupid things is carby sealing

on hi-boost(16+psi), mine use to blow out carby gaskets all the time.

cheers

darren

........has probably forgotten more about turbo K motors that what I have ever learn about them!!!!! :)

He is the guy who originally helped me out with my backyard setup many years ago and I learnt heaps from him. Can I suggest that if he ever gives you advice again then take it very seriously as he's always right. :)

You may have read posts of his here under the username "untubbed_20".

....oh and I nearly forgot, do you still have that T28 in the first pic? this one....

turb_wagon1.jpg

Cause thats a GTR T28 (one of the twins) and would be a much better size match over a S14/15 T28 for a 4k.

[/rant]

Si.

Hey buddy, just been having a read of your SAU thread and thought I might make a few points for you.

1, I saw your "want to swap" in the first post here and was keen to swap your T28 for my T25G, but after seeing that its one of those chinese T25/28 hybrids I'm not really keen now. Haven't had any personal experience with them, but they deffinately don't have the best reputation! :hmm:

On the same topic this statement concerns me....

With the turbo plumbed up you shouldn't be getting any resistance like that! I hate to say it but the problem may be an already un-healthy turbo! :dance: Plug gap and timing won't really make much difference to how it runs at idle plumbed up or not!!

2, have you actually locked the dizzy?

3, You sure you've got the fuel system sorted!? :dance: You said something about needing a pump with 8-10psi. So are you really going to be happy with 6-8psi of BOOST?

4, Your FMIC concern - Ok your carby backfires, it happens. But how in hell is fuel supposed to travel back towards the turbo when the induction pipe is under vacuum!? :dance:

Seriuosly mate, I would not worry about this and fit a FMIC when ever you want.

..... and this leads into my next suggestion.....

5, The guy who wrote this about the above....

........has probably forgotten more about turbo K motors that what I have ever learn about them!!!!! :)

He is the guy who originally helped me out with my backyard setup many years ago and I learnt heaps from him. Can I suggest that if he ever gives you advice again then take it very seriously as he's always right. :y:

You may have read posts of his here under the username "untubbed_20".

....oh and I nearly forgot, do you still have that T28 in the first pic? this one....

Cause thats a GTR T28 (one of the twins) and would be a much better size match over a S14/15 T28 for a 4k.

[/rant]

Si.

2. yep, the dizzy is locked, and the vac advance unplugged

3. nope fuel is still an issue... one of the previous owners (who had wired up the fuel pump, did not put a fuse in.... so now i have a dead pump).

i have been talking with specialty tuning about the fuel set up, max boost i wanna run is about 8 - 10psi.... its not gonna be a car to pin me to my seat (that is what i have the 32 for) i just want a fun/semi reliable daily.

4. i have a SMIC from my 32 in the shed... if i cbf with it i will fit it. at the moment i want the induction as short as possible so there is no extra lag. (the same reason i don't have a massive fmic on the 32, boost comes on at about 4000Rpm with the highflow R33 s2 turbo on there, a big "look at me" FMIC would be a deficet)

5. yea i know exactly what the turbo is, i had a highflow T28 lined up as a replacment but since had done reserch about what is best hence wanting a T25 or even a stock turbo from an ET pulsar.

thanks for the rant. the rolla is on hold for the moment, saving up for an OS holiday. will soon have a malpassi adjustable fuel reg and new facet pump on the way

Edited by bezender

If you want minimal lag then get your hands on a T25G the "G" bit is the fact that it has a .48 rear housing which makes a hell of a difference in response.

An EXA/ET T2 would be responsive sure, but top end flow would be a lot more restictive than the a T25/G.

Oh and as far as FMIC go have a look in my projects thread at the MX6 cooler, I've had 2x of them now (sold one with carby turbo kit). They are so easy to mount in a rolla, and the inlet and outlet end up in pretty much exactly the right spot - for my setup or yours.

Last one cost me $40 delivered off ebay. :y: