Front Strut Brace

Members dont see this ad
hey guys got a base model ae92 seca and got a sx strut brace I'm installing, i know i need to drill 2 holes in the fire wall for the 2 bolts/ screws, and tips, ideas or suggestions as to what way to do it. thanks

Check first that there aren't any holes already drilled in the firewall and just covered up by a sticker/plaque etc. If you put the brace on you should see exactly where the holes should be/will need to be drilled (remember to always put strut braces on when the car is on level ground, and not up on jacks, otherwise the chassis will twist)

If you do need to drill holes, this is what I did on the AE102 when I put a Levin strut brace in it:

1) Unbolt anything on the firewall that might get in the way (I had to move the air-con idle-up valve)

2) Undo and remove the nuts holding the strut tower top to the guard (DO NOT TOUCH THE PISTON ROD NUT), it should only be two nuts per side (with one left untouched)

3) Place the brace over the strut tower studs, and mark out the bolt hole locations on the firewall. Drill out each hole (roughly 10-12mm in diameter, depending on what option you choose to do next)

There are 3 options as to how you want to actually secure the brace to the firewall:

a) Tap the holes in the firewall

b) Bore the hole out, use a through bolt with a nut on the plenum side of the firewall (ie bolt head in the engine bay)

c) As above, except nut in the engine bay and bolt head in the plenum)

To get to the plenum in the AE102 I had to remove the plenum cover, which was the black plastic thing between the bonnet and the windscreen, which was just a couple of screws/bolts.

Remember to use a big enough bolt to fit the hole in the strut brace, washers may be a good idea too.

ey man thanks, that is the only 2 ways i could really think bout doin it as well but thought id ask on here n see what others come up with. yeah there isnt any holes there is jst the plate behind where they are ment to be, big help man cheers

Check first that there aren't any holes already drilled in the firewall and just covered up by a sticker/plaque etc. If you put the brace on you should see exactly where the holes should be/will need to be drilled (remember to always put strut braces on when the car is on level ground, and not up on jacks, otherwise the chassis will twist)

If you do need to drill holes, this is what I did on the AE102 when I put a Levin strut brace in it:

1) Unbolt anything on the firewall that might get in the way (I had to move the air-con idle-up valve)

2) Undo and remove the nuts holding the strut tower top to the guard (DO NOT TOUCH THE PISTON ROD NUT), it should only be two nuts per side (with one left untouched)

3) Place the brace over the strut tower studs, and mark out the bolt hole locations on the firewall. Drill out each hole (roughly 10-12mm in diameter, depending on what option you choose to do next)

There are 3 options as to how you want to actually secure the brace to the firewall:

b) Bore the hole out, use a through bolt with a nut on the plenum side of the firewall (ie bolt head in the engine bay)

To get to the plenum in the AE102 I had to remove the plenum cover, which was the black plastic thing between the bonnet and the windscreen, which was just a couple of screws/bolts.

Remember to use a big enough bolt to fit the hole in the strut brace, washers may be a good idea too.

the holes arent pre-drilled, but there should be a slight depression on the firewall which should be behind the "SR" sticker.

basically everything else hiro posted is spot on :lol: