hey guys, i'm a noob to the ke70 scene and just need a few q's answered.... some of you will know me from SAU.

i have a 311rwkw r33 gtst and am currently starting a drift pig build. i want around the same power/weight of my skyline, but something that doesn't cost me 50k :yes: so the plan is a fully stripped ke70 with an sr20, running an s15 turbo, Z32 afm, nistune and e85... should be around 200rwkw @ 900kgs

engine info wise i'm fairly sorted, just need some particulars on the chassis...

i have searched, but have not found the answers to everything yet... can someone pls give me a hand or point me to some threads that will have the info? :D

i still need to know:

suspension - what gear for a track drift only setup, i hear there is a lot of whiteline stuff available... is it the sprinter stuff? is there a popular setup that most people run? i was thinking coilovers, camber, pineappples and sway's, (not sure about the rears.... coilovers don't like the rears i've heard) also i want it slammed pretty hard...

drivetrain - s13 gearbox, gonna bash that in, so thats ok, will the rest hold up to 200rwkw? diff i'm just gonna weld up

brakes - is there a common conversion here?

wheels - i'm currently looking at challengers in 15 x 8 -9... how far out will these sit? i am flaring the guards, but don't wanna go to bolt on's.... i'm happy for the wheels to sit out a fair way.... also what size/offset sits totally flush with ke guards?

thanking you all in advance :jamie:

hamish

Edited by joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo

Members dont see this ad

Use the search function both here and AE86DC for a fair bit of information on suspension setups etc. You really need to be searching in the rides section as that will show people's builds and set ups etc.

With an SR conversion the S13 box will be fine as it was in the S13, for diffs you might want to consider a hilux diff. Some hilux diffs are the same width drum to drum as a KE you just need the swaybar mounts welded on etc. You can also change back to four stud somehow or can stick with 5 stud for the rear as Hilux is 5 stud.

You could get away with a T series diff from a T18 or JDM Sprinter however if you give it a hard time with more than 200rwkw you will be breaking centres and axles. I had a stock T series in my CA Sprinter and it held up ok but not given a hard time.

Some places make engine mounts for this conversion also.

If you upgrade to sprinter struts in the front you can then buy a kit to fit S4 RX7 brakes. The rear drums will be fine if you are just sliding. If you go Hilux Diff then obviously the drums will be bigger anyway.

15 x 8 -9 Challengers only stick out mildly. They are a good fit with a slight roll. Best bit is they can be drilled to any stud pattern so you can run 4 stud front and 5 stud rear. They can be ordered new obviously.

So all signs are pointing to a Hilux Diff really..... :D

Hope this helps

thanks heaps.... if the rears only just stick out i could go some 20mm bolt on 5 to 4 stud spacer/converters, if anyone makes them.... i know of 4 to 5 stud...

any ideas of which hilux model diff?

RN41 or RN42 can't remember, all you need do is measure the KE diff width from drum to drum and then get to a self serve wrecker and measure some Hilux Diffs the same way. You might find a particular Hilux Diff which is skinnier therefore allowing you to run a 20mm spacer without it looking stupid. Some Hilux diffs are wider and are therefore a no go. The other advantage for Hilux is that you can put an LSD in them quite easily. This solves farting around with lockers and also if you break a Sprinter series diff or diff centre expect big bill. Sprinter stuff is not cheap so steer clear of it where you can.

There is a way to make the Hilux Diffs 4 stud as my mate has one. I will find out what happened to make it happen. It is some weird combo of parts :jamie:

Also, when you see how much a 15 x 8 -9 sticks out you won't want a spacer adding 20mm, unless of course you are from Mexico :D

sweet as man... this is all very new to me, as i am running 18x9.5+30 on the line and they are only 1cm out :jamie:

i was actually thinking of 14 x 7 +3 for the fronts, as a mate has a ke70 the same width all round and the fronts are a fair bit further out

running camber on the front will bring them in a little, and still have the track you desire :D

yeah, the fronts will be in a bit... need the rears flat tho

thanks heaps for the fast replies mate :D :

can't wait to get this thing underway... so far i all i have is the computer... lol

Sounds like you have plenty of time to spend searching the net then :jamie:

Search heaps of ride threads etc and you will soon get the idea of what works and what doesn't. I have lost count of the amount of hours I spent searching for info on what I am doing to mine. :yes:

lol I'm ahead of you hamish

i got my ke55 coupe already

and I'm doing the rust repairs and sanding now :D

(although its going very slowly cause of work)

btw if u get a ke70 thats still got a 4k in it, ill grab it off you most likely

don't think ill do an engine conversion yet just get it all running and regoed

Hey guys, good to see you over on rollaclub. :jamie:

With the SR, what cross member will you be using? Silvia cross member or modified K series? If modifying original cross member, go 86 struts and FC 4 pot brakes (bit of info around on this). If you're gonna use the SR cross member, I would say you're better off using S13 coilovers, brakes, etc. You'll get wider track though, but if you're gonna go Hilux or even R31 rear end, the increase in track wouldn't be too bad (not sure on what's involved with these diffs into KE).

Wheels.. will depend on what suspension you end up choosing. Visit my build thread for some pics of my wheels. I'm yet to upload pics of my current wheels which came in yesterday though. :D