Making 4k Less Noisy

Hi guys :y:

My little shitty 4k is very noisy and is starting to irritate me.

Not the noise from the exhaust, but the noises from up front like ticks and rattles and stuff.

I understand the tappets make a bit of noise and would like to know how to get them as quiet as possible, I do have a Manual.

But there is a lot of other funny little noise, so I would just like to know any suggestions and what it could be, and how I can stop it.

Thanks fella's

Members dont see this ad

Every you'd need to know about adjusting valve clearnaces will be in your haynes/gregory's manual. Stock 4k's are 8 (inlet) and 12 thou (ex) HOT.

Might also want to invest in a new timing chain. That ones a bit harder than the tappets, but again you'll have instruction on how to do so in your manual. :y:

Hi guys :y:

My little shitty 4k is very noisy and is starting to irritate me.

Not the noise from the exhaust, but the noises from up front like ticks and rattles and stuff.

I understand the tappets make a bit of noise and would like to know how to get them as quiet as possible, I do have a Manual.

But there is a lot of other funny little noise, so I would just like to know any suggestions and what it could be, and how I can stop it.

Thanks fella's

Mate, there`s a gozillion things in a 4K that make noise during operation. Always tappets, timing chain, valve guides, cam followers, piston slap, possible cracked pistons(not uncommon) and general wear and tear after being thrashed for ever trying to keep up with traffic. The only real way to cure the problem is to pull it out and rebuild.

Too expensive???? then install a quality stereo system and turn up the volume, that fixes most 4K noises instantly.

The only real way to cure the problem is to pull it out and rebuild.

How much can this cost If I do it myself? I would like to keep the 4k in it and have it running 32/36's or whatever in the future, but if it's going to be blowing smoke and being noisy I'm not going to bother, I'll just slot in a 5k.

Edited by Jimpoole

Every you'd need to know about adjusting valve clearnaces will be in your haynes/gregory's manual. Stock 4k's are 8 (inlet) and 12 thou (ex) HOT.

I have a feeling the valve tappets are so worn that if I adjusted them to fully down, they would still tick. The engine's done 113000k's but drinks oil like it's going out of fashion.

What is 8 and 12 thou (ex)?

How much can this cost If I do it myself? I would like to keep the 4k in it and have it running 32/36's or whatever in the future, but if it's going to be blowing smoke and being noisy I'm not going to bother, I'll just slot in a 5k.

G`day again, I am in the process of rebuilding my 4K at the moment so I can give you some idea of costs.

Workshop manual. $10/$40.

Rebuild gasket set, $120 plus.

Pistons. $160

Big end and main bearings. $100.

Cam bearings. $ 35. (instalation $80)

Cylinder boring. $100.

Cam regrind. $150

Extractors. $ 250.

Weber adapter plate. $45.

Head shave. $60 (just a skim to ensure straightness)

Head shave for higher compression. $75 plus.

Then you have to decide whether the valve guides/ valves are up to scratch or not. Add $200 plus for valve work to standard condition. Talk to your local engine builder for price on mods.

That is a basic rebuild and you can bet that there will be hidden costs when you get the engine apart and start looking at corrosion in the likes of the water pump/ cylinder head etc. You also may have to look at a reco radiator and hoses. Oilpump??? New oil and filter etc, etc.

As you see, it is not massively expensive to rebuild a 4K but you will still come out with an engine that was originally designed 40 years ago, to drive little Japs to and from the sushi bar and not to race commodores through the streets of Newcastle.

Do some homework before you start and you will be able to increase horsepower to an acceptable level without spending your life savings. Then compare the price against dropping an A motor in. You decide.

I personally wanted to rebuild my 4K because my car is being done "old school" and it just wouldn`t look right to me with a twin cam.

Good luck with the project anyway.

Well I wasn't thinking about doing that much. Maybe just the things I have to do. Like this:

Rebuild gasket set, $120 plus. Probably need one of these after taking apart

Pistons. $160 Rather, just a new set of rings

Big end and main bearings. $100. (See how they are upon inspection)

Cam bearings. $ 35. (instalation $80) Install myself (unless its a machine job?)

Cylinder boring. $100. Get dad to bring a hone home from work

Cam regrind. $150 (Get a really lumpy one made)

Extractors. $ 250. Can't really see the point for a 1300cc

Weber. $100-$200.

$60 (just a head shave to ensure straightness)

=about $600 all up.

Please tell me what I have missed here. I have bugger-all money because I'm young, and also I have to save to get the body of the car fixed.

Well I wasn't thinking about doing that much. Maybe just the things I have to do. Like this:

Rebuild gasket set, $120 plus. Probably need one of these after taking apart

Pistons. $160 Rather, just a new set of rings

Big end and main bearings. $100. (See how they are upon inspection)

Cam bearings. $ 35. (instalation $80) Install myself (unless its a machine job?)

Cylinder boring. $100. Get dad to bring a hone home from work

Cam regrind. $150 (Get a really lumpy one made)

Extractors. $ 250. Can't really see the point for a 1300cc

Weber. $100-$200.

$60 (just a head shave to ensure straightness)

=about $600 all up.

Please tell me what I have missed here. I have bugger-all money because I'm young, and also I have to save to get the body of the car fixed.

Mate you can get away without cam bearings, but just remember that the cam travels at twice engine revs. I was suprised with mine to find that one bearing was nackered and they have to be fitted with the correct press.

For just a freshen up of your existing motor, go to your local super cheap or equivelant and ask them cost for a re-ring kit. I did a 4G32 Mitsubishi recently and the re-ring kit for that was only about $200. I`m pretty sure that they will be able to do a 4K kit on request. All the kit has is head, manifold and sump gaskets, rings and big end bearings. Valve stem seals were extra, but not much. If your valve faces are not burned, you can buy a valve lapping dolly and lapping paste for about $25 from Repco.

Extractors and weber make a huge difference to the little 1300, as does a mild cam. Stay posted and I will have a 25/65 for sale soon. It`s just a mild street cam giving best results from 2500-5500 revs. Or keep your eye out on gaybay. They come up all the time.

There is actually a very good thread about building a tuff 4K and it is well worth a read if funds are a bit iffy.

Again, god luck.

but just remember that the cam travels at twice engine revs.

:hmm: The cam runs at half engine RPM.

Stay posted and I will have a 25/65 for sale soon. It`s just a mild street cam giving best results from 2500-5500 revs.

Depends on how your overall combo is setup, ie extractors, exhaust, induction, headwork. In a 4k my 25/65 cam made peak power a 7500. Click the link in my sig to hear how a 25/65 cam runs in my 5k. :y:

Rather than rebuild, look around for a motor in better condition than what you already have. Shouldn't cost much, maybe up to a few hundred.

Edited by Felix

:hmm: The cam runs at half engine RPM.

Depends on how your overall combo is setup, ie extractors, exhaust, induction, headwork. In a 4k my 25/65 cam made peak power a 7500. Click the link in my sig to hear how a 25/65 cam runs in my 5k. :y:

Rather than rebuild, look around for a motor in better condition than what you already have. Shouldn't cost much, maybe up to a few hundred.

G`day Mods and thanks for picking me up on the camshaft speed thing. My blue.

The quoted min and max for the 25/65 came from Dean Tighe just a few days back, but I agree with you that combined engine package can and will have a big influence on a reground cam. I was keeping it relevant to the motor being discussed, that will probably only have a freshen up and not much else. If it were me, I wouldn`t waste my time of money putting in a hot cam without all of the other things mentioned in the thread on 4K`s.

Anyway, thanks.

G`day Mods and thanks for picking me up on the camshaft speed thing. My blue.

The quoted min and max for the 25/65 came from Dean Tighe just a few days back, but I agree with you that combined engine package can and will have a big influence on a reground cam. I was keeping it relevant to the motor being discussed, that will probably only have a freshen up and not much else. If it were me, I wouldn`t waste my time of money putting in a hot cam without all of the other things mentioned in the thread on 4K`s.

Anyway, thanks.

ok just thought i would pop in and tell my 5cents worth 8/ k here it is i got all this done to my 4k

1. endurotec piston set 60thou oversized $122.69
  2. piston ring set $66.10
  3. c/rod brngs 34.48
  4. main brngs $86.22
  5. cam brngs $34.39
  6. full gasket set $142.69
  7. w/plugs $10
  8. 60thou bore/hone $25.45 each pot/$101.82
  9. reco head w/head shave .020 thou $180
  10. lumpy camshaft regrind 35/73 $213.64
  11. remove/replace cam brngs $48.18
  12. supply and fit double valve springs and retainers $120

and all up a fairly great price and i love the cam lol? did i mention i like 4ks.???

:lol:

ok just thought i would pop in and tell my 5cents worth 8/ k here it is i got all this done to my 4k

1. endurotec piston set 60thou oversized $122.69
  2. piston ring set $66.10
  3. c/rod brngs 34.48
  4. main brngs $86.22
  5. cam brngs $34.39
  6. full gasket set $142.69
  7. w/plugs $10
  8. 60thou bore/hone $25.45 each pot/$101.82
  9. reco head w/head shave .020 thou $180
  10. lumpy camshaft regrind 35/73 $213.64
  11. remove/replace cam brngs $48.18
  12. supply and fit double valve springs and retainers $120

and all up a fairly great price and i love the cam lol? did i mention i like 4ks.???

:lol:

G`day mate, is that the dead one you were trying to flog in the back yard or did you build another one?