Ke70 Running Like Crap

kiahn

hey all,

ive got a ke70 with a 4k-c and 4 speed

2 weeks ago it ran all the way to bunbury and back without a hitch but when i went to start it up today

it ran like someone had put toilet water in the fuel tank

it starts alright if you got your foot on the accelerator but as soon as its going you need to either turn the idle way up or have choke fully on

have tried tuning it already but that only seemed to show that the problem can't be fixed by adjusting idle mixture

some background info:

brand new battery

new points and condensor

no leaks on the intake manifold

was running good last weekend

any input is apprecciated but I'm not going to spend any money on this engine as i am putting a 4age into it within a month or 2 so it's not worth it

Members dont see this ad
hey all,

ive got a ke70 with a 4k-c and 4 speed

2 weeks ago it ran all the way to bunbury and back without a hitch but when i went to start it up today

it ran like someone had put toilet water in the fuel tank

it starts alright if you got your foot on the accelerator but as soon as its going you need to either turn the idle way up or have choke fully on

have tried tuning it already but that only seemed to show that the problem can't be fixed by adjusting idle mixture

some background info:

brand new battery

new points and condensor

no leaks on the intake manifold

was running good last weekend

any input is apprecciated but I'm not going to spend any money on this engine as i am putting a 4age into it within a month or 2 so it's not worth it

Sounds more like an air leak of some sort. All you can do is check that the manifold bolts are all tight, that the carby nuts are tight and that none of the pollution hoses are leaking. The latter could be a long process but the first ones that I would look at are the vacuum advance one and then the one to the charcoal cannister and then the one to the pcv valve. Sometimes the gizmo that sticks out the front of the thermostat housing with the 4 hoses to it gets bumped and the little plastic fittings get broken off. Same with the temperature sender unit.

The other thing that it might be is a blocked/dirty idle jet. Try taking the air filter off and the long stud down the middle, start the car with the bonnett up, manually accellerate the engine up to around 4000rpm and then shove a big peice of rag over the top of the carby to completely choke it. I know that sounds like crap, but the vaccuum at those revs will suck small particles of dirt out of jets sometimes.

Have a listen around your brake booster for any signs of a vaccuum leak also.

anyway, good luck.

wow thats alot of checking to do

ive taken the air filter assembly off and there is plenty of fuel getting to it at idle so no problem there,

took my dizzy cap off and the spark plug connections are as corroded as anything so scraped that all off but nothing improved much.

then i took off the number 2 spark lead and the idle didnt change at all, I'm thinking it might be something to do with the lead deteriorating

cheers "old fella" for the info tho, i will check all that tomorrow

took off the number 2 spark lead and the idle didnt change at all

that must be a comin thing cause my 4k does that two and so does my gf 4k. u can also put ur 1 spark plug lead to number 4 n 4 to one then start car with air filter cover off n give it a rev it should back fire throw the carby this can help dislage stuff and clean out inlet n carby. then spray down the carby with carby cleaner start car may take a little time to start when starts rev a little to clean it out n see if it runs better after that.

sweet that sounds pretty easy to fix, lol ill hold my head far away when i turn it over tho:P

does anyone think i should rebuild my 4k then sell it or just sell it as is?

I'm taking it out to put in 4age and i don't wanna scrap thhe lil beast coz its only done 103 000k's

oh ok, well ive got a 4age conversion ready to go in so i probably wont rebuild the 4k.

ill just sell the 4k as is with k40 and Tail shaft

i was hoping it was something small so i could still drive it round for a few days :)

thanks for the help, i might still rebuild it and put it in a ke20 (my dream car)