3tgte Build

condog

Hey all i'm in the process of building a 3tgte. I'm still gettin all my parts together and have some queries and genaral questions? any help would be sweet. as follows:

3tgte

88mm forged pistons (yet to order, any thoughts on comp?)

Eagle rods 3tc ( not drilling oil holes, anyone done this?)

big t3/t4 garrett (.60front t4 and rear .63 t3)

440cc rx7 injectors

head work (after parts are sourced)

cam regrind (pricing now, what grind?)

any thoughts are welcomed!!

cheers

Connor

(ps dunno what car its going into yet... i'm building motor, then gettin a car)

Members dont see this ad

Hey there!

Rock and roll the 3TGTE!!!

Personally, I'd be looking for 87mm pistons with a compression ratio of 7:1 or 7.5:1 The extra meat in the block is just for peace of mind... And handling some good boost.

Good choice of turbo there, easy to come by, relatively cheap and good match to the size of the engine. I'm personally going for a TCO5-G18 off a VR4 Galant. More because it came up at the right price, and I want the boost to come in nice and low.

Cam wise, I've been checking out a few different options... Rumour has it 2TG cams can be used... If this is true, grab a set of the earliest 2TG cams you can find... pre-emmissions stuff.

They have quite an agressive profile, and looking at the power drop over the 2TG models over the years, i'd suggest it may be good for about 25-30hp depending on your boost. Other than that, I'm trying to chase up the profile of the TRD cams and TODA cams used in racing back in the 70s.

With injectors, you can get 440cc injectors out of the 7MGTE which run the same low impedance as the 3TGTE. I'm not sure about the RX7 ones, but either way, 7M ones would likely be cheaper due to the demand of the RX7 ones.

One way to up the boost on the stock computer is to put a 5MGE AFM in. It plugs straight in, and tricks the computer into thinking there is bucketloads more air, thus upping the fuel. From what I've heard, it's good for about 200 odd hp.

There's a couple of guys on here that have 3TGTEs and toymods.net has a thread dedicated to 3TGTE performance...

As for cars to put it into... hehe... pretty much anything sub 1000kg would make for a VERY fun car.

For ease of install, T18's rule, followed a close second by the AE71. I suppose on that note an AE86 wouldn't be too difficult either.

I guess what it comes down to is what you'll be using it for. One that I've thought about is putting it into a GZ10 soarer... engine will bolt straight up to the G series bellhousing, so only engine mounts needed, plus puts the weight a bit more in the centre. It'd be more than powerful enough to use as a street/drift car, and realy mess with people when you pop the hood...

Either way, I'll be watching to see what you end up doing with this choice engine.

Hey there!

Rock and roll the 3TGTE!!!

Personally, I'd be looking for 87mm pistons with a compression ratio of 7:1 or 7.5:1 The extra meat in the block is just for peace of mind... And handling some good boost.

Good choice of turbo there, easy to come by, relatively cheap and good match to the size of the engine. I'm personally going for a TCO5-G18 off a VR4 Galant. More because it came up at the right price, and I want the boost to come in nice and low.

Cam wise, I've been checking out a few different options... Rumour has it 2TG cams can be used... If this is true, grab a set of the earliest 2TG cams you can find... pre-emmissions stuff.

They have quite an agressive profile, and looking at the power drop over the 2TG models over the years, i'd suggest it may be good for about 25-30hp depending on your boost. Other than that, I'm trying to chase up the profile of the TRD cams and TODA cams used in racing back in the 70s.

With injectors, you can get 440cc injectors out of the 7MGTE which run the same low impedance as the 3TGTE. I'm not sure about the RX7 ones, but either way, 7M ones would likely be cheaper due to the demand of the RX7 ones.

One way to up the boost on the stock computer is to put a 5MGE AFM in. It plugs straight in, and tricks the computer into thinking there is bucketloads more air, thus upping the fuel. From what I've heard, it's good for about 200 odd hp.

There's a couple of guys on here that have 3TGTEs and toymods.net has a thread dedicated to 3TGTE performance...

As for cars to put it into... hehe... pretty much anything sub 1000kg would make for a VERY fun car.

For ease of install, T18's rule, followed a close second by the AE71. I suppose on that note an AE86 wouldn't be too difficult either.

I guess what it comes down to is what you'll be using it for. One that I've thought about is putting it into a GZ10 soarer... engine will bolt straight up to the G series bellhousing, so only engine mounts needed, plus puts the weight a bit more in the centre. It'd be more than powerful enough to use as a street/drift car, and realy mess with people when you pop the hood...

Either way, I'll be watching to see what you end up doing with this choice engine.

Great info, I would just be a bit careful with the age of the car you put it in. I doubt you could legally put a 3TGTE into an AE86 or soarer (in some states) because it would be older than the shell its going in. (unless you went LPG?)

That is very true... Emissions are a bitch, but provided you can meet them, it's all good. Oh, My soarer is a GZ10... same age as my engine. Both are 1984. And the AE86 isn't too far off. Again, meeting the regulations for emissions is necessary for any engine swap. If you are going full aftermarket ECU it should be doable.

That is very true... Emissions are a bitch, but provided you can meet them, it's all good. Oh, My soarer is a GZ10... same age as my engine. Both are 1984. And the AE86 isn't too far off. Again, meeting the regulations for emissions is necessary for any engine swap. If you are going full aftermarket ECU it should be doable.

Glad I'm in Tassie, emissions, what emissions, LOL.