Coil - Emi And Computers

awvg

Hey guys I have a couple of questions re the coil, I am tidying up my engine bay in my 55, doing a full wire tuck and moving/hiding everything, this includes moving the coil to the cabin. It is running a 4age and an ltx8.

1) will the coil induce a current in objects around it?

2) is it likely to interfere with the computer or stereo?

3) How far away should i mount the coil from the computer?

4) Can i make a sheild for the coil by placing a copper pipe over it and then earthing the copper pipe?

5) are these just stupid questions?

Thanks in advance

Members dont see this ad
All those questions are the same, not sure about a 4ag coil but ol school ones would probably have sound electromagnetic leakage, are you extending the primary lead?

I wouldn't say the questions are all the same, more that they are all related, sorry i will clarify what i am asking, the questions are more related to the power of the field the coil creates, i.e weak field may not impact components around the coil, however if it is a strong field, how far from the computer should i mount the coil so as to it does not interfere? Can I make a shield to to block/ 'capture' any leakage?

I will be extending the the primary lead and will be using the thickest lead i can get.

Then from that, i would mount the coil as far away from any computer as possible, and the primary lead CANNOT go along side any electrical wires. Thats should be your biggest concern, with a pulse of 10-50kilo volts through the leads will cause intereference in anything, even the trigger wire to the coil will pose some problems. I probably wouldn't even bother moving it, just make a stainless cover or something