Curious Need Help

ae71piggie

hey guys, been on the forum for a bit had an ae71 corolla at one stage but got an offer i cudt refuse and sold it, now I'm about to pick up another ae71 spirit for a few hundred, manual, its stock as a rock with an old man owning it and been sitting uder a house,

my question is ive read a bit on here and still unsure, as to lowering my old one had chopped springs was ok but wanna do it kinda legally lol

I'm looking for coilovers for the front tho unsure what ones to get, i want adjustables but ive seen people use s13 and ae86 coilovers, in ur opinion what ones are easier and cheaper?

i may come up with a few more questions as i go along but thanks in advance

Members dont see this ad
hey guys, been on the forum for a bit had an ae71 corolla at one stage but got an offer i cudt refuse and sold it, now I'm about to pick up another ae71 spirit for a few hundred, manual, its stock as a rock with an old man owning it and been sitting uder a house,

my question is ive read a bit on here and still unsure, as to lowering my old one had chopped springs was ok but wanna do it kinda legally lol

I'm looking for coilovers for the front tho unsure what ones to get, i want adjustables but ive seen people use s13 and ae86 coilovers, in ur opinion what ones are easier and cheaper?

i may come up with a few more questions as i go along but thanks in advance

Presumably you're going to redo the whole front set up. AE86 is easier but probably more expensive because the parts are sought after. S13 is apparently a lot harder but wouldn't be as expensive as Nissan components are a dime a dozen, it'd also be harder to get it registered with them due to the substantial change that you'd be making.

see that it i have nno idea what id have to do to put em in?...

what would have to be done and thanks for the help...

This for the S13 upgrade, which a lot of people swear by especially those who drive AE86s.

As for doing the AE86 upgrade it's pretty well buy the AE86 struts, brakes, steering arms etc. and put them in. There would no doubt be a full run through somewhere though as it's so popular.

thanks heaps for that, if i didnt go down the coilover road what are my other options? and will they be as stiff?

Exactly what destroyer said. The springs you use will be a major factor in stiffness. There's a book I'm reading at the moment called Haynes Suspension, Steering and Driveline Manual. Covers everything you need to know really, your local library will have more information on this than you could possibly get off a forum.

Coilovers also add to ride height if you don't have a big enough weight in the car, and presumably this is not what you want either. So there is a lot to take into consideration with your suspension :jamie:

ae71 struts have same size springs as ae86

so you could go AJPS springs, and better shocks (excel g or whatever tickles your fancy)

Yes but try getting good shocks to suit hard springs that will fit in the AE71 strut.

S13 will cost roughly the same to set up correctly.

Ae86 is easier, and virtually bolt in. You can also use Corona struts, which have a bigger stub axle apparently.

Coilovers will not be legal anyway, unless you plan on engineering it.

Coilovers also add to ride height if you don't have a big enough weight in the car, and presumably this is not what you want either. So there is a lot to take into consideration with your suspension :jamie:

This makes no sense.

Edited by KENut

AU? They are acceptable I guess, if you have decent shocks paired with them (short stroke as well).

I have had falcons with commodore excel g's in my car. Nice, quite stiff but still comfy enough for me.

BUT 1) they will be cut to fit, &

2) they don't sit properly on the spring seat.

Proper springs like AJPS ones are what you should get ideally.

This makes no sense.

If you are referring to my comment about coil overs increasing ride height it comes directly from the Haynes manual I referred to earlier. I know most coil overs are readily adjustable, but perhaps it's in reference to the increase in shock rate.

Reading it back I'm curios too. 'This makes no sense' is a bit of an exaggeration though.