My Ae92 - Bucket

Kid-Ae

Went to the wreckers to get some piping, came home empty handed as i'm not sure how to go about the air intake, looking simply at the amount of stuff bolted/plumbed to the bottom section of the air filter housing on it currently.. Hmm... Suggestions?

Members dont see this ad

I'm keen to see this car on good friday mate, will have a yarn with you about a few of these things then, much easier then trying to explain what I'm on about on here I think.

Also if there is anything you want from this vehicle: AE92 for sale, let me know, might be something of use to you there.

Cheers dude :)

Ill have a look-see, I do need front seats but the wreckers have a 50% off right now, so i gotta figure out what fits with no mods into my car first..

Okay. Decided on a CAI setup. Plumb the stuff attached to the air cleaner, then a 90degree bent pipe from carb to 3 or 4" pipe, running to an airbox I will mount, face forward (nearish to the back of the battery). From there, I'll cut the front of the airbox and run another length of pipe (maybe 6 inches long) facing slightly downward to suck up the air.

Ill try to do a drawing and put it up soon ;) SHOULD have a big increase in airflow with minimal bends and a heap of room to suck fresh air.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in Melbourne who is good at making stuff outta metal?

Idea is, use bottom of existing air cleaner and get a custom made top for it (to sit exactly over the bottom plate), raised high enough to have two, yes, two 3" outlets welded on from either side, to run a 3" pipe along the stock air cleaner route as well as heading in the opposite direction next to the battery. Idea is to run a higher quality air filter in it and with two lots of air sucking in, should improve airflow dramatically :)

Really keen to get it done asap :) Even if using second hand materials and payment may be a case of beer or cash, depending what you'd prefer :)

EDIT: Not taking credit for idea, was discussed with TroysRollaSX and his mates on Good Friday. Got it stuck in my head and now I'm sure it's the best option :)

Edited by ROLLA'BOY

When it comes to air boxes and all that stuff I have no

idea, I saw you and the 92' on sat leaving the shops near

Anaconda. First thing to get my attention was the rear lights,

then the nice rims and lastly the rego DXY... I got some goodies for my

92 at Kilsyth pick a part.

Possibly another visual mod for $100 you could do is replace the bumpers with

white ones kust to tie in the car a little. There was a seies 1 hatch in there with tidy bars from memory. A few cars doen from the series two I got my bar from.

Keep it up mate :y: :y:

When it comes to air boxes and all that stuff I have no

idea, I saw you and the 92' on sat leaving the shops near

Anaconda. First thing to get my attention was the rear lights,

then the nice rims and lastly the rego DXY... I got some goodies for my

92 at Kilsyth pick a part.

Possibly another visual mod for $100 you could do is replace the bumpers with

white ones kust to tie in the car a little. There was a seies 1 hatch in there with tidy bars from memory. A few cars doen from the series two I got my bar from.

Keep it up mate :y: :y:

Ah, my sneaky exit from repco without having to do a u-turn ;)

I was considering it, but I'm not sure how well they will sit. The rear of the car is damaged and I'm guessing thats why my rear bar sags a little, whereas the front one is pretty good. Plus.. I don't know how to remove them *facepalm*.

Cheers mate :) I'd love to see your 92 in the flesh!

I was a little doubtfull about the front bar removal to be honest, especially being a much newer car over the old ae82 I had. But suprisingly the front bar slotted on perfectly this

morning and not once did I have to fiddle around with gapping under headlights or guards to get the best possible finish. Very easy to do.

Rear bar would be as easy too :y: Yeah looking back at the pics when you bought it, there

is a little gap difference below the tail light and gate but thats no real drama. Still white bars would looks nice on it and I'm sure someone who's close would be happy to help you install them.

Yeah mines getting there, put on that muffler and googled the brand name and it appears to be

sport muffler. It certainly sounds different and is half the size of the original!

Ah, so it's fairly easy to do then :hmm: I'll look into it when I have a little more in the way of finances.

I think the actual mounting plate for the rear bar has been hit in the rear damage, causing this. If I can get the car on stands then I can inspect it more closely.

Half the size? Nice! How big is the pipe? 2inch? Might be the same as mine, nice and throaty down low?

Update

Installed parcel shelf, used 16mm MDF instead of 25mm, can still be lifted by the tailgate with no problems ;)

Fixed another niggly problem today. Washer bottle was losing water.. Checked motor - worked fine, checked connections.. whaddayaknow.. 90degree plastic bend was fouling on the drive belt and put a hole in it. Put a new 90degree bend on and moved the washer bottle across slightly to avoid fouling and we have liftoff :)

Also pulled the exhaust manifold heat shield off and gave it a quick wet sand and put it back on, a heap shinier and easier for the next stage of prep when it gets primered and painted :)

The rear bumperbar will have an iron inside it, so that may be the cause to the inconsistant

gaps you mention.. Yes putting the car in the air and inspecting underneath it can help to a degree if your not confident in removing the yourself :y:

Well the ae92 which was there had no pipe from the manifold back. Just the rear muffler

which caught my eye as it so clean from being recently put on. The pipe diameter seems to

be the normal size, but the actual muffler body itself so so much smaller than the original

eventhough all the mounts and hangers line and bolt up perfectly. The muffler is only a few months old going by the production sticker. The brad name is Auspac exhaust, after googling

it led me to a performance exhaust website which is based in Hallam..

Whats the condition of your wiper/washer bottle? Mine was knackered and finding a good one

was hard as most perish in on the left hand side near the cap. Good work on the parcel shelf.

Will do a wreckers trip tomorrow and see what I can see really, then i'll probably give my mechanic $20 to use the hoist to check/change them over and check my engine for leaks while I'm under there ;)

Nice find! Any power increase?

Washer bottle is in good condition, pretty surprised when I yanked it out. I've bolted it to where the air mixture valve was bolted, and upside-down mounted the bracket for that without having to reposition it in order to clear the drive belt.

Extractors...

Off Topic: VY Commodore or BA XR6? Looking at them in next 12 months (keeping Bucket, just want a nice comfy cruiser/daily when Bucket gets taken off the road for some serious plans ;) )

I havent noticed any power increase, but I drive preety relaxed :blush: The only noticable

difference is the sound. When I went out with dad he noticed it was different and didnt mind it. Has a nice rumble at idle, up and down shifting through the gears and general driving

it has a nice note to it.

4AFE extractors, can suit carby with some mods..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-COROLLA-AE90-92-101-4AFE-WILDCAT-EXTRACTORS-/160578300206?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256336692e

Another for efi..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Corolla-AE90-AE95-Extractors-/120642767494?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c16de8a86

The sticker on my muffler was auspac exhaust, so after a bit of google this came up.

Probably wouldnt hurt to ask them about extractors for a 4afc too. Theyre located in Hallam

also.

http://www.auspacperformance.com.au/

Comparioson pics.

Standard size

S5004207bb.jpg

Auspac unit

S5004349.jpg

That's all you want really, something with a nice little note to it, without grabbing attention all the time :)

I've seen those extractors, but don't want to buy anything without knowing what needs modifying first.. Sent emails to the sellers for questions and have received squat in return.

On a side note - your car looks so immaculate! such a clean example of one of these little beauties, I'm just a lot jealous :rolls:

Update - Sealed a leak in the rocker cover today :) no more pooling oil now :)