Way To Much Spark :(

camerondownunder88

Hi,

Ok did over time so didnt get as much done as I wanted to but here goes.

On way home bought a new dizzy cap, dizzy rotor, points, condenser.

I installed new condenser and while at it checked the resistance from the bolt that condenser attaches to that has the points wire to it to the dizzy housing. Infinant :jamie: excelent no ground leak.

Installed points. Gapped and lubed dizzy shaft. While at it poped off centre bung and oiled dizzy 2 shafts for the advance mech (no one ever does this the amount of K dizzys that are seized I get..LOL)

Poped on new cap and new rotor button (not in that order).

took out CDI loom. Put back stock KE1X wire.

Fired car up ran fine. Got spark tester out 12,000V is all I could get with a pissy weak spark. :bash:

The CDI hit 40,000V HUGE hot visicous spark multipul times so difference HUGE>

I am still using stock KE1X coil

Tomorrow I will install my KE3X coila nd resistor I have in the shed and there is some stray wires in the KE15 loom that the original owner put in so I will also while at it remove them.

Test again and then re-install CDI and see how I go.

As CDI book has TE37 in it and how to install there adn there a resistor style coil so prob should have a ballast resistor.

But enough rambling let the pics speak.

Below is the points notice the heat distress to the arm and the contact points all burnt.

Then in the second pic notice the plastic melted at the base. This is the shaft bushing. It has melted and ran down the shaft making the points go side ways. So this has also lead me to belive possibly this failed and caused the points to go???

post-1811-1282552568_thumb.jpg

post-1811-1282552664_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cameron

Members dont see this ad

Spark checker is one of those dodgey ones with 2 probes that attach to spark lead and earth other end and wind out to marks from 0 to 40,000Volts.

Is a guide nothing more.

What I want to do is make a clamp probe for my multi meter that will handle the volts but that is on the to do list way down at number 300..lol

But reason I wired it up wiht the 12V KE1X coil is that in the manual my bad Jap translation says suitable for both types...obviously not..LOL

Cameron